Summary of Responsibilities
The assistant firm administrator position supports the Firm Administrator to encompass a wide range of activities with involvement in all phases of administration, personnel, finances, and facilities. The assistant firm administrator puts the firm's needs first and works closely with the partners on firm-wide policy setting, problem solving and decision making. The person is responsible for organizing, directing and controlling the day-to-day operations of the firm, and for directing the implementation of firm policies.
Essential Support Functions
· Controls office workflow to regulate and maintain a balanced workload for administrative staff with minimum overtime.
· Standardizes office procedures, systems, and forms. Recommends system revisions and implements new forms and procedures as necessary.
· Researches and recommends purchase, lease, or rental of necessary office equipment, computers and software. Negotiates contracts with vendors.
· Maintains an efficient filing system for clients and administrative files.
· Schedules and assists at partner meetings. Prepares and distributes agendas and minutes.
· Evaluates and reviews coverage comparisons for all insurance annually. Recommends appropriate re-visions.
· Schedules and arranges all firm social events.
· Directs preparation and maintenance of office procedures manual and implements and monitors procedures.
· Develops and manages an efficient and orderly system that ensures the timely and adequate distribution of periodicals, memos, newsletters, tax bulletins, and all other similar items.
· Maintains master client list. Issues new client reports and assimilates new clients into firm system. Revises firm records as appropriate to reflect clients gained and lost. Reports status to partners on a regular basis.
· Assists the tax partner with maintenance of the firm library, making sure updates are filed timely and subscriptions are current.
· Attends all staff meetings, handling any physical arrangements as needed. Keeps professional staff informed of any developments in the administrative area relating to them.
· Recruits, interviews, and hires candidates for administrative positions.
· Assigns responsibilities and supervises the administrative staff; develops training programs and career paths for administrative staff; reviews performance and determines compensation program for administrative staff.
· Coordinates recruiting programs.
· Assists management in interviewing accounting staff.
· Administers all employee benefit programs. Recommends revisions to maintain a competitive compensation and benefits package. Negotiates contracts with benefit vendors to provide maximum benefits at lowest cost.
· Directs new employee orientation program.
· Maintains personnel files with current information.
· Monitors personnel evaluation and performance management system.
· Maintains personnel manual in accordance with applicable employment laws and guidelines. Updates personnel policies. Prepares/coordinates preparation of job descriptions. Communicates and interprets policies to all employees.
· Holds monthly administrative staff meetings to gain feedback and offers suggestions to support staff.
Scheduling and Production Control
· Schedules and staffs all engagements.
· Ensures that all personnel provide timely input to the firm’s management information system.
· Approves and schedules personal time and vacations.
· Coordinates and arranges staff meetings and technical sessions.
· Monitors the staff work schedules and keeps accurate records of completed year-end engagements and all extensions.
· Monitors cash flow and accounts receivable.
· Supervises internal accounting functions and procedures, including preparation of firm's monthly and annual financial statements.
· Provides partners and managers with periodic financial and practice management reports as request-ed.
· Develops and maintains control over purchasing of equipment and supplies.
· Acts as liaison with banks on lines-of-credit.
· Assists with collection of overdue accounts.
· Reviews employee time sheets and expense reports for propriety and substantiation.
· Supervises time and billing system. Monitors timely preparation of billings.
· Supervises office maintenance to achieve a neat, clean, professional appearance.
· Supervises selection, purchase, and coordination of office furniture and accessories.
· Analyzes space utilization and recommends revisions as needed; plans and directs office moves and renovations
· Serves as liaison with building maintenance contractors, responsible for physical operation of the facility.
· Experience working in a professional service firm a plus
· Strong MS Office experience, Excel, Word, Outlook
· Professional demeanor with excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
· Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
· Must be detail oriented and have excellent organizational/analytical skills
· Verbal and written communication skills are a must
· Ability to prioritize workload to ensure deadlines are met
Setting Up Files