PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Under the guidance of the Benefits Manager, the Benefits Specialist is primarily responsible for ensuring that the Agency’s leave of absence and workers’ compensation programs are administered in accordance with Agency policies and procedures and in compliance with federal and state regulations. The Specialist will also assist with administering the Agency’s benefit programs such as group health and life insurance, 401(k), and long term disability.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Provide both general and specialized support within the Benefits team as outlined below.
- Interface with employees on leaves of absence, and/or subject to on-the-job injuries; as well as new/newly eligible employees regarding benefits information and enrollment.
- Provide excellent customer service to internal and external stakeholders and partners. Provide timely, accurate and knowledgeable support while being attentive to the sensitivity and confidential nature of various employee situations.
- Serve as a positive representative of the department and the Agency with regard to Benefits matters and support to employees, managers, and regional HR staff.
- Serve as corporate liaison to external Third Party Administrator (TPA) in the on-going management of leaves of absence; monitor TPA activity to assure TPA remains accountable to contractual agreements.
- Generate, review, and upload periodic census reports for TPA.
- Enter and maintain leave-related information into Agency HRIS.
- Partner with Payroll to ensure employees on leave are paid in accordance with Agency policy and applicable regulations, and with supervisors and regional HR staff to ensure other leave processes are being followed and necessary information is communicated to TPA in a timely manner.
- Communicate with employees regarding pay, benefits and premiums while on leave and address general leave questions in a timely and accurate manner.
Workers’ Compensation Administration
- Serve as corporate liaison to workers’ compensation TPA in the on-going management of worker’s compensation claims.
- Address workers’ compensation questions from employees, supervisors, occupational clinics, pharmacies, and Payroll, referring inquiries to TPA where applicable.
- Ensure work injury paperwork has been completed and claims are filed in a timely manner; and that communications are coordinated between worker’s compensation TPA and Leave of Absence TPA.
- Assist with day-to-day administration of employee benefits such as group health and life insurance, long term disability, COBRA, 401(k), and flexible spending accounts.
- Address benefit questions from employees, supervisors, insurance carriers, and other stakeholders. Refer inquiries to the appropriate internal and/or external partner.
- Process benefit invoices for payment.
- Act as backup for other Benefits Department/HR staff.
- Assist with special projects such as open enrollment, audits, 5500 preparation, and distribution of materials.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in HR management, business management or related discipline preferred.
- Certification in Human Resources or Benefits preferred.
- Min 2 years of experience working with benefits and leaves of absence
- Strong knowledge of Federal and California leave of absence, workers’ compensation and benefit laws.
- Working knowledge of HRIS products including data entry and reporting. Comfortable with learning technology and new software applications on the job.
- Effective planning and organization skills, including ability to plan time to fit daily task needs and organize data in a meaningful fashion.
- Exceptional customer service orientation and strong attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written; Ability to interact with a wide range of personalities and to represent CDI in a positive, professional manner.
- Maturity, professionalism, positivity and good common sense. Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Excellent computer skills with MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher etc.). Strong math and Excel skills are a must for success.
- Ability to work independently and solve general problems, while keeping management updated on status of projects and any challenges encountered.
- Ability to handle large projects and see them through to completion.
- A “big picture” thinker: ability to plan ahead and foresee needs.
- Ability to work well under deadlines, handle multiple projects/tasks, change priorities as needed, and work successfully within a team dynamic.
- Career Development and Training
- Discounted Childcare
- Paid Vacation/Holiday/Sick Time
- Medical/Dental/Vision Benefits
- Life Insurance
- Commuter Benefits
- Company Discounts
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace
Human Resources Information System (Hris)