The Franklin Institute , the most visited museum in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, strives to be the world leader in promoting science and technology education and literacy through inspiring and engaging experiences that cultivate curiosity, critical thinking, and an understanding of the crucial role science plays in our lives.
At The Franklin Institute , we provide an environment that’s as nurturing as it is dynamic. Our team-oriented approach allows for ample learning and career growth opportunities. We think you’ll find the Institute offers the ideal atmosphere in which to best use your skills and talents. We are eager for your input, ideas, and inspiration.
The Director of Information Technology leads the development and execution of TFI’s information technology strategy, addressing the critical areas of people, process, information, and technology. The Director of Information Technology will be instrumental in aligning the Institutes business of today while directing for the business of tomorrow to support visitor experience, CRM, Business Intelligence, revenue enhancements, and enterprise applications for The Franklin Institute.
The Director of IT will establish the technical direction of data platforms, IT enterprise architecture, provide operational leadership and proactively ensures the reliable operation of the overall IT back-office and visitor-facing IT environment. This individual will be responsible for supporting the portfolio of business applications, managing project oversight, risk management, data privacy, integrity, and security as well as lead TFI in the transformation and implementation of best practices for the management of IT. The Director of IT will deliver solutions to align TFI’s cross-functional business objectives and priorities to benefit the staff and constituents who visit, donate, participate in, and support the work of the Franklin Institute. This position will require hands-on work, and be available onsite for off hours (night and weekend) as needed to fulfill job responsibilities.
This position reports directly to the Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer and is responsible for managing the IT team.
- Provide leadership for the enterprise-wide technology strategy. Keep abreast of and leverage emerging business, nonprofit, and technology trends to embed digital opportunities Institute-wide that will strengthen operational effectiveness, enhance visitor experience, build reputation and services to the field, and generate diverse sources of increased revenue.
- Facilitate driving a culture change that supports the Institute in becoming a data-driven, data informed organization by providing analytical tools, services and insight. Provide leadership and operational direction of CRM and business intelligence/data analytic initiatives to enable TFI to operate in a data-informed and constituent-centric manner that maximizes lifetime value of each constituent.
- Provide executive oversight to ensure all projects meet committed milestones and target objectives. Ensure that the organization has strong systems analysis and project management skills so commitments are properly planned, staffed, monitored, and executed.
- Establish change management practices and incorporate into all aspects of IT initiatives to drive ongoing full adoption of IT capabilities and applications, including effectively communicating with and training users on the use of information technology assets to gain maximum benefit from IT investments.
- Optimize IT service delivery and availability targets as defined by TFI Service Level Agreements through effective management, configuration, and proactive monitoring and maintenance of systems. Develop, maintain and test disaster recovery and business continuity approaches including system back-ups, configuration, and recovery.
- Build, foster and maintain a thought provoking and inclusive culture that insures your team performs optimally and deliver proven results.
- Negotiate, maintain, and optimize vendor relationships and contracts.
Inspires Others: Keeps staff connected and engages with each other and with the larger goals of the team, department and organization.
Relationship Building : Ability to display a level of emotional intelligence that inspires trust and confidence with others; build positive, productive relationships with others and between others; build relationships up, down, and across the organization.
Communication: Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Accountability: Ensures team members clearly understand and take ownership of their responsibilities; provides support to them without removing responsibility for action; monitors progress and ensures timely, high-quality execution.
Influencing Skills: An ability to engage and persuade others to consider other perspectives, options, new information that support or benefit business or mission objectives.
Manages ‘Decompression’: An ability to keep their eyes on the larger goal while take time to rest and recharge self and team members alike.
Change Management Skills : Deep understanding of organization change management principals and models, and ability to utilize this information to increase the likelihood of change success.
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree preferred; or equivalent field experience.
- 10 years of experience in progressively responsible IT positions. Preferably in non-profit environments.
- Experience leading cross-functional enterprise-level application and data analytic initiatives including CRM and ERP. Retail, sales, and/or fundraising experience a plus.
- Ability to influence and positively motivate others; proven success and effective negotiation and relationship building skills.
- Proven experience as a digital pathfinder and change agent.
- Experience in IT financial management and budget forecasting, with a successful track record of direct responsibility in managing annual IT budgets of at least $1M.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
- Thorough knowledge of information technology including hybrid cloud environments, virtualized computing systems, network operation systems, Office 365, cyber security, PCI, and information privacy and security.
The Franklin Institute offers a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, and vision, 401K, life insurance and disability coverage. We also offer generous Paid Time Off, paid holidays, and numerous wellness program benefits.
How to apply:
Please submit your cover l etter and resume to [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Director of Information Technology or visit our [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Director of Information Technology at [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Director of Information Technology . We look forward to hearing from you!
The Franklin Institute is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
- Understand technology and technology trends
- Define future business technology requirements
- Identify future technology solutions, emerging technology platforms and digital trends
- Change an industry through technology
- Leading the information technology group
- Manage the technology product portfolio
- Provide technology vision and leadership
- Accommodate business and technology demands
- Identifying technology and process based business solutions
- Plan and execute internal technology development efforts
- Execute internal technology development efforts
- Oversee advanced technology planning, technology assessment, and strategic vendor partnerships
- Understand current state hospital technology infrastructure
- Followed when information technology issues
- Stay current with technology trends
- Developing new or improved information technology systems
- Provide leadership in technology best practices
- Execute strategic technology initiatives for systems and networking infrastructure
- Understanding learning technology trends in the industry, and leading technology focused teams
- Manage technology vendors and consultants