The Senior Desktop Engineer manages the design, function, security, and performance of the end user computing environment by leveraging extensive experience, designing new systems and procedures, and offering comprehensive knowledge of current and break-out technologies including best practices and trends, while simultaneously providing support and mentorship to the rest of the End User Support team. The Sr. Engineer must be able to translate the vision, strategies, and needs of the business into IT services and be able to identify opportunities for improvement in advance of outages or problems. Key responsibilities include: Collaborating with management and internal teams to deliver best-in-class service throughout the organization. Designing new standards and processes to make End User Support more effective and efficient. Informing management of technology trends, best practices, pitfalls, etc.
The ideal candidate for this role is one who is fired up to succeed and desires to face challenges every day, shoulder to shoulder with their teammates. The candidate will be comfortable with ambiguity and acting with little information or oversight. The candidate is detail oriented, a strong communicator, and has a strong business acumen. Continual Process Improvement is a constant consideration throughout this person's day-to-day activities, and they are adept at finding new and inventive ways for the team to become more effective and efficient. The ideal candidate thrives in a fast-paced team atmosphere, brings a positive attitude to work every day, seeks out knowledge and new information, takes ownership of their actions, and has fun.
- Defines ongoing laptop and desktop hardware platform standards. Manages vendor relationships and negotiates highly competitive pricing. Sets warranty standards and develops efficient break / fix procedures. Collaborates with IT management to develop Service Level Agreements between Information Technology and the business units.
- Provides critical design and support efforts towards large-scale company acquisition and integration projects
- Mentors teammates, promotes the sharing of knowledge, and endeavors to build strong intra-team relationships.
- Manages hardware and software assets as well as assent management processes. Maintains and improves the software deployment process and designs new computer deployment images. Tests software patches and owns the patch management process. Develops laptop and desktop baselines and monitors for deviations. Designs enterprise-wide software update schedules.
- Identifies opportunities to improve security throughout the organization and works with IT management to develop security procedures. Informs management of trending threat potentials and zero-day vulnerabilities and provides recommended action plans.
- Functions as the subject matter expert on all related laptop and desktop computing technologies. Keep management informed and make recommendations that promote the overall effectiveness of the IT services offered to the business.
- Develops hardware refresh cycles and assists management with budget requirements.
Secondary Responsibilities / Requirements:
- Adheres to company/department policies and protocols.
- Operational (ticket) work as necessary
- Some travel required – valid passport and driver's license required.
- Bachelor's degree in IT or equivalent mix of related coursework and experience.
- 3+ years advanced configuration and management of System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM)
- 5+ years deploying operating systems in corporate environment
- Demonstrated ability to develop software packages for deployment
- Expert level troubleshooting techniques for desktop, application and network related issues; highly analytical.
- Working knowledge of user state migration / profile migrations
- Strong organizational skills, ability to adhere to defined processes/procedures and suggest improvements.
- Highly self-motivated with ability to work in a team environment; experience as a peer leader.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Superior listening, written and verbal communication skills; experience with technical writing/end user knowledge.
- Expert knowledge of Microsoft Windows client operating systems and Microsoft Office 365 products
- Proficiency in the deployment of software packages in an enterprise environment
- Experience developing PowerShell, windows batch, Unix shell, VB / VBA, or similar scripts
- Expert knowledge in Network and Telephony system troubleshooting, and technologies such as PXE, DNS, ARP, DHCP.
- Expert knowledge in monitoring workstation performance and event monitoring
- Strong understanding of file systems and data storage technologies
- Strong written and verbal communication skills + ability to translate highly technical concepts into executive briefs.
- Ability to both lead a project team and work within a team environment; requirements gathering and engaging stakeholders
- Strong understanding of service desk and IT service management activities / best practices; Working knowledge of ZenDesk or ServiceNow platforms
- ITIL v3 or v4 Foundations certification (preferred)
Service Level Agreement