Job Title: Triage Nurse
Immediate Supervisor: Clinical Nursing Manager
General Summary: Under the direction of the nursing manager and Director of Clinical Operations, responsible for providing triage (sorting/prioritizing patients) telephone service to ensure prompt identification of patients high-risk conditions. Also provides nursing care in the office.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
1. Talks directly to patients on the telephone and then directs them to emergency departments, labor and delivery, or to see their physician during office hours.
2. Performs quick evaluation of the patient’s situation based on brief telephone assessment and familiarity with a patient’s condition and medical history. Confers with the physician as needed. Communicates clearly and calmly with patients.
3. May provide appropriate home health advice to those patients as appropriate.
4. Sets up appointments for patients who do not need emergency services but need to see a physician or arranges for an appointment scheduler to make the appointment.
5. May handle routine information requests from patients, provide patients with test results, and explain or answer questions about upcoming procedures.
6. May assist in performing exams, diagnostic procedures, treatments, and assist with minor in-office procedures.
7. May check and maintain emergency equipment.
8. Functions within the approved scope of professional practice, office policies, procedures, and protocols.
Education: RN or LPN degree
Experience: Minimum 3 years experience as an RN or LPN, triage experience, preferably in a medical practice setting is preferred
Other Requirements: Current state RN or LPN license