Job Title : : Patient Care Associate - Med/Surg (000545)
Location : Bronx, New York, Brooklyn, Manhattan
Duration :3+ months (Possible of Extension)
Shift Time: TTBD
- Under direct supervision of a licensed Nurse or other professional medical staff in a health care setting, performs a variety of clerical and health-related duties associated with patient care; performs related work.
- Checks vital signs, weighs, and measures patients, obtains specimens and records findings on patient’s chart.
- Instructs patients on how to obtain specimens for laboratory testing and performs basic specimen screening testing through dipstick and hemocult.
- Prepares collected specimens for pick-up by labeling and preparing required form(s). Picks-up lab results.
- Performs vision and hearing testing and simple urinalysis.
- Administers emergency first aid, including basic life support procedures.
- Performs simple first aid such as dressing changes, bandaging, and cleansing of wounds, irrigation and cleansing of ears.
- Prepares patient for examination and assists medical provider during examination by providing necessary supplies/equipment.
- Prepares examining room for examination including cleaning and sterilizing instruments and equipment.
- Informs patients on proper preparation for various medical testing.
- Conducts interview of client to obtain routine personal and medical information and appropriate health history.
- Maintains, completes, processes and files patients’ charts, appropriate forms, and documents.
- Reports observations of patient to medical staff caring for patient to ensure professional assessment.
- Reissued Revision Answers routine inquiries of patients in person or via telephone and makes appropriate referrals.
- Participates in informing patients and their families of health care services and achieving healthful, safe living.
- Maintains inventory of the unit’s equipment stock and supplies.
- Works effectively as a team member in the delivery of care and assists in the orientation of new employees.
- Directs and escorts patients to other hospital departments and/or facilities, as needed.
- Coordinates efforts of various clinic and facility departments in scheduling and rebooking appointments through manual and/or automated systems and enters pertinent patient information into hospital data systems.
- Obtains blood specimens for laboratory testing by performing venipuncture and/or fingerstick testing.
- Operates electrocardiograph equipment to record electrical wave tracing of the electrical currents of the heart muscle.
- 2 years of med/surg experience required
Certifications & Licenses:
- Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation
- High school diploma or its educational equivalent, approved by a State’s Department of Education or a recognized accrediting organization; and
- Successful completion of a NYS Department of Health prescribed training program for Phlebotomy, satisfactory to the Laboratory Director; and
- Completion of a health care setting-based training program in the performance of electrocardiographs and basic life support procedures including certification in Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation
- Spanish and English
- Medical Assistance
- Medical Surgical Nursing
- Patient Care Technician
- Vital Sign