We’re a progressive and fast growth retail environment looking to innovate in the convenience space and we’re looking for a passionate change champion to join our Executive Leadership Team.
As the Vice President of Marketing and Merchandising you will lead a dynamic team of Category Managers, Analysts and Field Merchandisers in developing and executing marketing and merchandising programs for 415+ convenience stores across the west coast.
In this role you’ll have the opportunity to join a profitable organization at the start of its journey to develop an exciting new brand, continue to develop an experience team of procurement professionals, create new digital footprints and develop creative strategies to support our continued growth.
Here at United Pacific we believe in providing a great place to work and grow. Our motto is “I Got It!” and if you’re looking for a stable, rewarding, challenging career then “I Got It!”
Essential areas of the position include:
- Lead marketing and merchandising programs for 415+ convenience stores across the west coast.
- Develop forward thinking marketing strategies utilizing digital tools and online marketing programs.
- Ensure procurement strategies are developed and executed to meet the demands of a diverse customer base and a growing retail business.
- Develop a creative direction and strategies to drive retail sales. Also ensure the translation of those strategies to the successful execution of marketing plans, planograms, and visual merchandising programs to achieve sales and inventory goals.
- Utilize financial reporting to understand specific levers that influence the P&L and ensure we meet our long-term financial goals.
- Execute on key seasonal events, counter attack strategies, collateral, pricing and promotion strategies.
- Coordinate with Store Operations to ensure the retail team understands and has the needed tools to execute marketing plans including; ensuring all retail locations are visually set according to current planograms, promotional displays are accurately coordinated, fresh programs are executed correctly, and waste targets are met.
- Recognize and surface competitive trends to target key industry and local market opportunities.
- Ensure the marketing team pursues innovative approaches to product selection, promotional strategies and pricing strategies.
- Ensure the marketing team proactively identifies new potential vendor relationships, maintains existing vendor relations, successfully negotiates profitable contracts, and holds vendors accountable to agreed service levels.
- Ensures that overall performance standards are reached by each member of the Marketing and Merchandising Teams.
- Lead, coach, and foster a top-performing team environment that encourages creative thinking, pro-active solutions, and problem resolution.
- Ensure that open positions are filled quickly with the best talent and that the team is on-boarded and receives coaching and training to continuously improve their skill sets.
- Partner with the Human Resources team to ensure a high level of employee satisfaction through strong leadership with the objective of developing and retaining the best talent.
- Ensure that performance management is executed through recognition and coaching. Document important conversations.
- Measure performance against defined objectives and provide feedback as necessary.
- Ensure that performance standards are met by each member of the Marketing and Merchandising teams.
- Utilize strategic ability to react and adjust to ensure that overall performance objectives are met.
- Communicate and coach the marketing and merchandising teams to execute against defined goals and achieve positive results.
- Manage and facilitate change while providing focused day-to-day leadership.
- Participate in company-wide initiatives as needed. Be a voice and advocate for both the marketing team and our customers in the planning and execution of strategies and programs.
- Ensure marketing strategies foster a culture that promotes the best customer experience and supports the company’s overall growth plans.
- Travel to stores as needed to ensure satisfactory implementation of said programs.
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or strong applicable work experience as itemized below. MBA is preferred but not required
- 10+ years of sales and marketing experience in the convenience industry, big box retail, grocery or applicable retail environment is required
- Previous responsibility for the creation and execution of marketing initiatives for at least 100 retail locations is required
- Experience with online and digital marketing tools is strongly preferred
- Strong leadership and proven experience leading a retail marketing or operations teams is required
- Strong oral and written communication skills are required
- Proven experience analyzing sales, costs, and budgets and the ability to present data to executive leadership teams is required
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work as a team player
- Must possess the ability to lead change in a fast-paced environment and previous experience developing top-performing teams is required
- Strategic skills with the ability to clearly communicate strategy to both direct and indirect reports to execute and achieve desired results is required
- Ability to travel as needed across all divisions (CA, OR, WA and CO). Overnight travel may be necessary
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, IE, etc.)
- Experience with an inventory management and/or price book tool is required. Proficiency in PDI Enterprise is not required but preferred
The job qualifications described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. If accepting an offer of employment, applicant must be able to provide proof of authorization to work in the U.S. United Pacific is an EOE.
This position is subject to a background check for any convictions directly related to its duties and responsibilities. Only job-related convictions will be considered and will not automatically disqualify the candidate. United Pacific adheres to the Fair Chance Hiring Initiative and will lawfully consider individuals with a conviction history.