Once upon a time, a store in NYC named STORY created an entirely different type of immersive retail experience. We believed that shopping could be more than just about buying things. We decided to act like a magazine, change our theme and merchandise every 4-8 weeks. Our neighbors at Macy’s saw an opportunity to take what we had created inside one store and take it to the rest of America - and in April 2018, STORY officially joined the Macy’s family. Our address has now changed to 36 Macy’s stores across the country, but our community-centered mission and ever-changing DNA is very much the same.
URL blocked - click to apply is a store to explore, an ever-changing retail concept that brings a new theme to life every couple of months, through a mix of new products and events for all ages. Think: kids crafting sessions, mixology class, makeup tutorials, and meet and greets with your favorite author. We’re also the best spot to explore fun, tasty, colorful, playful, surprising, gifts for everyone - including Y-O-U. We’re very big on supporting small businesses, obsessed with great stories and we believe that entrepreneurs have so much to tell us all.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The STORY Manager will report to the Regional Director and will oversee, manage and execute functions related to the designated Brand Experience in-store retail business. S/he is responsible for the overall daily operations of the Brand Experience retail space and success of all its store employees. S/he will oversee a team of Storyteller colleagues in driving strong sales and delivering our unique experience to customers. S/he will lead an enthusiastic staff with positive energy and authority to motivate high levels of performance across the entire team. S/he will have a direct and consistent line of communication with the Macy’s Store Manager and Brand Experience team Regional Director.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Sales, Leadership and Training
- Leads the sales floor to maintain focus throughout the day on achieving sales goals.
- Coaches strong selling and customer engagement behaviors and maintains the highest standards of customer service.
- Develops and reinforces sales initiatives in collaboration with store and Brand Experience team leaders.
- Runs daily morning meetings to motivate and excite staff for day ahead.
- Report productivity to regional directors and Macy’s Store Managers. Communicate sales goals with sales colleagues, emphasize selling objectives and highlight any product messaging as appropriate.
- Oversee overall operation of the selling space in an efficient manner, while achieving and maintaining the brand standards. Assuring the highest level of customer service and upkeep of physical space.
- Main point of contact for the retail space for the Brand Experience central teams and broader Macy’s store team (door Store Manager), making sure that relevant information (e.g. in-store events, changeover periods) is shared with appropriate stakeholders, clearly, consistently and in a timely manner.
- Project manage events in collaboration with regional event leads. Ensure successful execution of staffing, catering, entertainment, multimedia set up, equipment, etc.
- Performs opening and closing duties efficiently including cash management, completing morning procedures and EOD reporting and preparing for the day’s business.
- Ensures team is thoroughly completing daily open/close checklist to maintain proper upkeep of physical space.
- Upholds best practices for managing inventory, maintain stock rooms, ensures the floor is properly re-stocked throughout day and at close. Establish a daily replenishment system for the sales floor.
- Assists in set-up and execution of store events and manages flow of staff during event.
- Creates weekly staffing schedule and manages employee’s vacation request calendar. Ensure the space is optimally staffed for peak times and events.
- Develops daily zoning plan to ensure that all areas are covered with appropriate number of staff.
Staff Hiring and Development
- Partners with Regional Director in planning for staffing needs across the calendar year.
- Interviews and hires full-time, part-time and seasonal staff.
- Onboards new hires, train staff on systems (e.g. POS), and ensures that new hire training is completed in a timely fashion.
- Actively observes employee behavior on the floor and coaches to help maintain team productivity and morale.
- Creates development plans for team members with actionable goals and tracks/manages performance by setting clear expectations and accountability. Works with staff and coach them to help them grow. Serve as a thought partner and share feedback with Brand Experience leadership to continuously improve training curriculum and store operations.
- Manages employee performance through regular touch-bases and check-ins. Promptly addresses performance problems and issues. Clarifies expectations and provide resources and training needed to achieve goals. Motivates staff and provide helpful, behaviorally specific feedback.
- Conducts Annual Reviews for all team members.
- Maintain strong communication channels with Managers, Macy’s Store team, and broader Brand Experience team. Stay current with best practices and maintain alignment with strategic team and firm objectives.
Theme Changeover Periods
- Liaise with broader store management and back of house teams to ensure clear communications and understanding of timelines.
- Maintain clear communications with broader Brand Experience team including Regional Director, Event and Training Directors to ensure updated information associated with new theme is received (e.g. visual merchandising guidelines, product shipment information, event playbook, product training).
- Guide and support sales colleagues through reverse logistics process, assemble new floor coverings, receive new merchandise, set up back-stock, store-build-out, and lead all other changeover functions as necessary. Leads by example by enthusiastically participating in all functions as necessary for each specific changeover.
- Supports Training Manager in ensuring training associated with new theme is complete.
- Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Please note, description may vary slightly by location.
THINGS YOU’LL NEED
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of retail experience.
- Vision and passion—to see the future of retail and want to create it
- Ability to inspire others to action through influence and advice
- Ability to attract, develop and retain top talent
- Resilience, tenacity, high energy. Able to rapidly bounce back from adversity.
- Effective written and verbal skills, ability to interpret instructional documents, such as reports and manuals.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Basic math functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- Self-starter, able to work independently and as part of a team and must have good time management skills.
- This position involves constant moving, talking, hearing, reaching, and standing.
- Involves standing for at least two consecutive hours.
- Involves lifting at least 30 lbs.
- May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, crouching, and climbing ladders.
- Optical abilities include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to function as part of a team and collaborate with team members.
- Possess a strong sense of urgency.
- Must enjoy meeting and interacting with customers.
- Possess a thirst for learning.
- Should be comfortable with the use of computers and frequent use of RF equipment.
- Flexible with scheduling and available to work retail hours, which may include day, evening, weekends, and/or holidays, based on department and store/company needs.
This job description is not all inclusive. In addition, Macy's, Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy’s, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.