The AL State Port Authority Bulk Division is seeking applicants for the Port Millwright classification. Individuals in this classification repair bulk cargo handling machinery, hoppers, align large conveyor belts, replace and repair conveyor rollers and idlers, perform emergency automotive, rolling stock repairs and other associated duties as assigned. This is rotating shift work at the McDuffie Coal Terminal.
Job requires heavy lifting up to 75 lbs., climbing, excess height work, and forklift and boom truck operations. Also requires basic mechanical skills, knowledge of tools and their proper use, knowledge of measuring devices and use. Basic knowledge of cutting with an oxygen and acetylene torch, basic knowledge of welding. Knowledge of blue print and mechanical diagram reading. Good math skills. Applicant will be required to demonstrate practical skills at the time of an interview.
- Ability to work rotating shifts in an industrial setting and in inclement weather.
- Must be able to obtain and retain the Transportation Workers Identification Credential (TWIC) and AL State Port Authority Security Credential.
- Must have knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions for industrial operations.
- Must be able to work safely in an industrial environment.
- Ability to follow oral and/or written directions with limited supervision.
- Ability to read and follow operational manuals, job safety analyses, procedures, and manufacturer’s specifications.
- Possession of a valid Alabama Driver’s license as defined by the ASPA Risk Manager.
- Ability to climb stairs and ladders, work above ground level and lift heavy objects.
- Must be able to read and interpret blue prints, drawings, plans and sketches
- Must be able to use hand tools, weld, rivet, use mechanical and gas cutting devices.
The current straight time pay scale is $22.27 to $24.96 per hour (includes shift differential). The AL State Port Authority is a Drug Free Workplace that conducts random unannounced employee drug screens and offers an excellent benefit package which includes a matching retirement plan, health insurance, paid leave, quarterly safety bonuses and paid holidays.