Specialists Hospital of Shreveport, a leader in advanced technology in the fields of orthopedic & spine surgery, pain management and physical therapy, is seeking a RN to join our team Pain Department.
The RN is responsible for the provision of skilled nursing care of the patient in the pain management and PACU environment.
Assessment: The PAIN RN is required to collect, interpret, record and communicate pertinent data that is relevant to the patient’s care in the PAIN and PACU departments. Data is concurrently assessed for optimum patient care and planned discharge of the patient.
- Assessment shall include:
- Verification of the patient’s preoperative vital signs and general conditions.
- Verification of the procedure, site, and physician.
- Utilizes all available resources in planning care and consults as necessary with resource person (MDA, Surgeon, Perioperative RN, PA, and Hospital ancillary personnel).
- Uses data collected to formulate nursing diagnosis about the health status and needs of the patient.
- Revises plan of care as needed to accommodate patient’s recovery based on continuing assessment of the patient.
- Communication and Documentation
- Documentation must be accurate, reflecting actual care given, the patient’s response to care and other observations made.
- Pertinent data will be communicated to appropriate health professionals.
Implementation: The PAIN RN provides direct care to patients, meeting their physiological needs:
- Identifies priorities and executes nursing care accordingly.
- Provides emotional support and comfort measures.
- Gives information or explanation to patients and their families as warranted.
- Ensures and respects the patient’s rights, privacy and dignity.
- Applies and monitors the principles of aseptic technique throughout the postoperative phase.
- May extubate the patient in accordance with established guidelines.
- Maintains the intravenous infusion, may start new IVs as needed, discontinues IVs before discharge, records and delivers amount of solutions as ordered.
- Administers medications and oxygen as needed, documents all administration
- Recognizes symptoms of cardiac arrest, respiratory distress, and/or other impending crisis; initiates emergency response.
- Considers “Universal Precautions" in the delivery of patient care.
- Coordinates the activities of other health care professionals and ancillary staff in assisting the patient for discharge.
- Instructs the patient in self-care and in home treatment of postoperative symptoms.
- Documents all postoperative care.
- Accurately and promptly documents unusual occurrences noted during the postoperative phase of recovery.
- Surveys patient record and recovery record for CQI as needed.
- Assists in properly caring for and disinfecting equipment and furniture in the recovery areas.
- Reports equipment malfunction and documents return to service of equipment.
- Participates in the evaluation and in-servicing of new supplies and equipment.
- Takes call for PACU.
- The PAIN RN continuously evaluates the patient’s response to nursing interventions and modifies the nursing care plan to achieve the desired outcome.
- Collaborates with other disciplines to revise the patient care plan according to the changing needs of the patient.
- Professional Characteristics and Evaluation
- Behavior reflects professional and cooperative attitude.
- Is accountable for personal conduct and promotes good working relationships among staff and others. Treats others with respect and courtesy.
- Utilizes available resources to keep current in nursing practice.
- Demonstrates understanding of the legal implications of nursing actions.
- Performs nursing activities in an organized and timely manner.
- Contributes to the efficient and smooth functioning of the department.
- Participates in projects and special assignments to improve nursing practice.
- Participates in formal self-evaluation by identifying strengths, limitations and goals.
- Participates in educational programs and hospital in-services to increase professional competence and to meet personal needs and goals.
- Seeks assistance from other professional resource persons to improve skills, knowledge and practice.
- Acts as a resource person and provides direction to other members of the hospital’s team.
- Assists in the orientation of new personnel.
- Identifies unsafe patient care practices and/or unsafe environmental aspects, assuming responsibility for intervention.
- Current state RN licensure.
- Current BLS, ACLS certification is required.
- CAPA or CPAN certification is preferred.
- BSN, Diploma, or Associate Degree in nursing with a minimum of five (5) years clinical experience.
- Minimum of three (3) years peri-anesthesia experience.
- Hepatitis immunization (Will be provided at no cost to the employee) or documented refusal to be vaccinated.
- Evidence of negative Mantoux or chest x-ray (will be provided at no cost to the employee).
- Able to maintain extensive standing, and moderate sitting
- Physically able to perform CPR.
- Able to lift a minimum of 15 lbs.
Electronic Medical Record
Arm Hand Steadiness
Conducting Physical Examinations
See the next step in your career
Apply to this job.
Think you're the perfect candidate?
Job ID: RNPRNPAIN
privacy and protection,
when applying to a job online, never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction.
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder
Terms and Conditions
for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the
Terms and Conditions
and both meet and comply with their provisions.
Specialists Hospital of Shreveport is a licensed and physician owned hospital located at 1500 Line Avenue, Suite 206 in Shreveport, Louisiana 71101. Our hospital is proud to provide advanced technology in the fields of orthopedic surgery, spine surgery, pain management and physical therapy for inpatients as well as outpatients.
View the full profile
Our vision of care for muscles, bones and joints begins in a healing environment with an intimate and personal approach with physicians being significantly involved in the delivery of health care on every level. Our hospital strives to provide amplitude of care and a pleasant stay for patients and their families. Each patient will leave here having experienced a personalized service with each employee you encounter.
Specialists Hospital – Shreveport is recognized locally and nationally as a leader in orthopedic and spine care. Our surgeons work closely with expert physicians in pain management, electrodiagnostic medicine, as well as physical therapy – all centrally located at our state-of-the-art facility, to achieve the ideal outcomes for your healthcare needs. We believe our vision of care meets or surpasses those offered in larger cities – bringing the finest treatment, from start to finish, right to your backyard.