Application Proposal Sales Engineer
**Must have experience within engineered rotating/rotary equipment
Main purpose of job
- This position is responsible for performing applications engineering activities in support of proposal, sales, and bookings objectives, using skills and techniques to proactively seek out and successfully close new equipment orders for products in North America with secondary product support responsibility for centrifugal compressors.
- Representing the company in outside customer, supplier, and public activities.
- Leading new order entry and handover process to the project execution teams
- Participating in new business, product, and process improvements
Application Engineer Accountabilities
- Receive and review customer specifications for technical and commercial requirements for new equipment projects while developing and aligning proposals for HRO products and services in order to generate competitive technical and commercial proposals to the customer in order to successfully secure new and repeat business opportunities.
- Perform technical review of customer / project specifications and identify and rationalize requirements outside of our standard scope / design to ensure the product / proposal package is designed to meet agreed upon specifications.
- Perform calculations and product selections in order to most efficiently and effectively meet the customer’s process needs.
- Develop the overall mechanical, hydraulic, and electrical equipment package design concept which will be offered to the customer including due regard for engineering, project execution, and manufacturing capabilities, as well as outside supply chain capabilities.
- Establish cost estimates for equipment and services offered in order to achieve well developed and competitive proposal selling prices in line with sales and margin objectives.
- Develop high-level schedules and resource plans for the proposed project which will allow any resulting order to achieve successful completion of engineering and production obligations on time and within budget.
- Prepare and present formal product and services quotations to the customer that includes technical data and concepts, pricing summaries, and commercial summaries in accordance with the project specifications.
- Review and enter new equipment proposals and orders into CRM system in a timely and complete fashion in order to support booking and sales forecasting pipelines.
- Pursue and lead technical and commercial proposal / design concept communications and meetings with the customer in order to steer preference and acceptance of proposed solutions, while seeking out Voice of the Customer feedback in order to better refine or modify the proposal / design concept offerings.
- Lead and drive the internal proposal process throughout the sales phase between inside and outside sales personnel and representatives, project management, design engineering, aftermarket, and supply chain. Requires interaction and leadership with other internal and external partners concerning all aspects of the proposal process including engineering, quality, logistics, scheduling, spare parts, field services, legal, and sub-suppliers to ensure proposals account for all aspects of internal costs, resources, scheduling, commercial, and legal needs.
- Provide technical assistance, information, support, and guidance to customers and sales representatives to develop effective relationships with customers which maximize future sales opportunities.
- Ensure intelligence and proposals are current and sensitive to market / customer needs, pricing, and performance using appropriate Voice of the Customer and Value Selling skills and techniques.
- Facilitate technical and commercial negotiations with customers in order to achieve successful order closure in line with company goals and objectives.
- Ensure that orders are consistent with quotes and reviewed for accuracy; edit for correct spare parts and data listed.
- Prepare all required documents / data for order handover meetings in accordance with procedures.
- Partner with central functions such as Quality, Engineering, Finance, IT, Legal, and HR to ensure that proposal and sales strategies are in place and are consistent with broader business strategies.
- Maintain proposal and sales records, schedules, and intelligence to assist in achieving long and short-term financial goals.
- Maintain and improve levels of proficiency in application engineering skills, tools, and techniques.
- Participate in continuous improvement practices and goals relative to personal, department, product, process, and company improvement in order to maintain and grow customer satisfaction, and to ensure the group meets common KPI’s and skill / knowledge transfer.
- Requires working directly with other engineering and design colleagues or consultants to ensure design accuracy and first time quality.
- Provide technical and commercial assistance to project execution, aftermarket, field services, and shared services in regards to proposal and design clarifications and problem resolution.
- Represent the Company in a professional and responsible manner.
Application Engineer Dimensions
- Proposals for company product and equipment packages are conceived, designed, and planned to properly satisfy agreed upon specifications, applicable industry standards, and company goals.
- Accountable for performing applications engineering and sales activities to meet applicable KPIs such as bookings value, bookings margins, OTD, and proposal pipeline in line with company goals.
- Rotary blower and rotating equipment specific engineering technical knowledge is accumulated, developed, and properly utilized.
- Ability to perform engineering and sales tasks and make technical and commercial decisions with minimal supervision.
- Responsible for observing and contributing to Environment, Health, & Safety Metrics.
Application Engineer/Sales Engineer Skills, knowledge & behaviors Essential skills, knowledge & behaviors which will be demonstrated, developed, and effectively utilized:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Ability to perform & understand engineering calculations.
- Ability to interpret and understand engineering drawings and bills of material.
- Familiarity with various industry standards: i.e. ANSI, ASME, ASTM, API, MIL, SAE, and similar.
- Experience composing professional documents such as reports and procedures.
- Experience composing professional technical and commercial proposals / estimates.
- Computer literate, with either the knowledge of, or the ability to rapidly learn, engineering programs, business systems, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project.
- Ability to make a technically sound decision and accept responsibility for that decision.
- Knowledge of basic fabricating and assembly practices / processes for heavy industrial products.
- Logical problem solving skills, outstanding organizational skills, and dedication to quality and integrity.
- Ability to quickly assess complex issues and identify root causes/key success factors.
- Motivated, self starter, with the ability to perform duties with minimal supervision and achieve goals.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple projects simultaneously while shifting in-between as necessary.
- Strong competitive desire and motivation to successfully complete tasks and win orders in line with established goals and behaviors.
- Strong interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills, with comfortable and confident demeanor.
- High moral and ethical standards, demonstrating respect for the individual and team, and setting an example for compliance with laws, regulations, and corporate requirements.
- The positive attitude, ethics, and values necessary to support the company's mission and a high performance culture.
- Effective and comfortable in a variety of formal and informal presentation settings; one-on-one, small and large groups, inside and outside the organization.
- Willing to travel when required.
Application Engineer Desirable skills, knowledge & behaviours
- Three years of experience working with positive displacement rotary blowers in sales, applications or product design.
- Three years of experience within an air and gas handling, rotating equipment, or heavy industrial industry.
- Five years in technical sales or applications engineering environment.
- Experience with MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience with 2D and 3D CAD software packages.
- Experience with computer programming.
- Experience in lean manufacturing and continuous improvement environment.
- Experience working in a matrix organization where influence, indirect leadership and compelling ideas are used to accomplish organizational objectives.
- Experience working with CRM and/or ERP and other technology tools.
- Advanced degree.
Application Engineer/Sales Engineer Complexity and creativity
- Will require developing a thorough technical understanding of the product, its components, manufacture, assembly, and operation to be able to effectively make decisions relative to product and equipment package design concepts for each proposal.
- Will require developing skills and use of appropriate tools and knowledge to effectively perform cost estimating and schedule and resource planning.
- Will require developing sales plans and strategies to find and secure business and order opportunities, and then managing the work to achieve the sales and project KPI’s, milestones and deliverables according to customer and company expectations.
Application Engineer/Sales Engineer Judgement and decisions
- Will require the ability to rationalize design, cost, and commercial options against customer wants / needs and competing competitior positions.
- Will require the use of sound judgement and the ability to identify and act on the need to consult colleagues and outside sources to rationalize design and project decisions, or seek design support / validation.
- Will require the ability to manage daily schedule and workload from multiple projects and custoemr demands.
- Supply Chain
- Project Management
- Quality Assurance
- Sales and Applications
- Key Account Managers
- Field Service
- Manufacturing Personnel / Supervisors
- Test Lab Personnel / Supervisors
- Shared Services (HR, Marketing, Central Engineering, etc.)
- Other Internal Personnel When Required
- Travel is required during the course of normal job responsibilities. Typically between 15% and 20% annually.
- Domestic (US and Canada) travel will be necessary as part of normal sales and technical support activities.
- International travel may be required for training and/or customer support.