To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Portage, MI
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Email Send Failed!
Manufacturing Engineering Manager
Summit Polymers, Inc. • US-State-MI
Posted 11 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
Job Title: Manufacturing Engineering Manager
City: Portage State: Michigan
Job Description and Responsibilities
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
Manage and lead 6 to 10 manufacturing engineers in tier one automotive interior supplier that injection molds, paints, and assembles components and systems. This is a technical and managerial position that is responsible for the injection molds, injection mold processing and automation, paint equipment, paint tooling and processing, and assembly equipment and processes. Collaborate with maintenance and manufacturing personnel to meet plant performance objectives. Collaborate with corporate engineering and advanced manufacturing on new programs in development to ensure manufacturability. Be a leader in solving problems and in continuous improvement.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Under general supervision is responsible for the following major tasks:
- Meet performance objectives for safety, quality, productivity, and delivery
- Collaborate with corporate engineering and advanced manufacturing on programs in development and on engineering changes(ECs) on programs in production
- Review part and system design for manufacturability from a molding, painting, assembly, and packaging perspective
- Review mold designs for robust tooling conditions and ease of maintenance
- Review part and paint rack design for ability to hold parts on paint racks and ability to paint all surfaces per specification
- Review part design and assembly machine design for safety, ergonomics, robustness, and productivity
- Review programs to ensure quoted cycles times and scraps rates can be achieved
- Communicate ECs with the plant and schedule implementation and manage changes to injection molds, paint, assembly machines, and packaging
- Collaborate with and support manufacturing through the following activities
- Molding - Maintain and repair injection molds, develop injection mold PM schedule, develop and improve injection mold processes, automation, and end of arm tooling.
- Paint - Maintain and repair paint racks, develop and improve paint processing, programming and automation, develop paint PM process.
- Assembly – Maintain, repair, and improve assembly equipment and processes
- Collaborate with finance on maintaining the Bill of Materials, which set standards for the plant
- Support manufacturing and collaborate with manufacturing and maintenance in solving problems related to safety, scrap, operational availability (machine up time), and productivity (cycle times)
- Lead continuous improvement activities
- Collaborate with the plant lean manufacturing team on eliminating waste and implementing lean tools and practices.
- Ensure proper training of engineers and mentor them and other key personnel to ensure a competent workforce
- Schedule and prioritize the work of the manufacturing engineers.
- Support quality in the development of PFMEAs
- Adherence to TS16949 standards and procedures
- Compliance with ISO 14001 environmental reporting and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Bachelors degree in engineering
- Six years’ experience as a manufacturing engineer in molding and either paint or assembly in an automotive environment
- Supervisory or managerial experience in an automotive environment
- Current comprehensive technical and hands on knowledge of injection mold design, repair, and maintenance and scientific injection molding process, robotics and robotic programming
- Knowledge of a variety of plastic welding techniques preferred
Knowledge of paint processing, paint programming and automation preferred
- PLC knowledge preferred
- Independent thinking with strong analytical and problem solving skills is essential
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally both verbally and in writing at all levels in the organization and with customer, suppliers, and vendors
- Outstanding leadership, team building, coaching and decision making abilities
- High energy level and the ability to lead and motivate others
- Possess the ability to gather and analyze information and make decisions from a limited number of choices as demonstrated by a mini mum score of 26 on the Wonderlic Personnel Test. Agreement to complete all post-hire required training.