To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Austin, TX
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Email Send Failed!
Information Technology Security Analyst
Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board • Austin, TX
Posted 27 days ago
Experience - At least 4 year(s)
Degree - 4 Year Degree
$66,000.00 - $78,000.00 /Year
Education - Teaching - Administration, Other Great Industries
Information Technology, Education
How Do You Compare to the Competition?
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
Performs complex information security analysis work in the Information Solutions and Services division of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB). Work involves planning, implementing, and monitoring security measures for information systems and infrastructure for potentially targeted information technology resources to protect the confidentiality, availability and integrity of agency information resources. Works under general supervision, with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. This position reports to the agency Information Security Officer (ISO).
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducts or coordinates risk and vulnerability assessments, performs vulnerability scanning, analysis and testing.
- Coordinates security incident response activities, assists in designing, implementing and maintaining network security architecture.
- Recommends system and procedural changes to protect agency information assets and ensure confidentiality of protected information.
- Researches and evaluates emerging security-related technologies.
- Prepares security awareness informational materials and presents security awareness seminars.
- Assists in preparation of risk management, agency security and system security plans.
- Participates in Data Center Services (DCS) activities related to security assessment of data centers.
- Monitors and manages e-mail security features including the agency’s Office 365 environment.
- Manages access by users, work groups, and local area network (LAN) and wide area network (WAN) resources.
- Implements measures to monitor and safeguard agency assets against accidental or unauthorized modification, destruction, or disclosure.
- Monitor and assist in administration of security focused software including: mobile device management, intrusion prevention, email protection and security event & incident management.
- Evaluates information security products and services to identify strengths, weaknesses, and potential benefits to the agency.
- Advise and assist application developers regarding application security practices and platform hardening.
- Supports external and internal audit activities, performs related responses, analysis and security remediation.
- Applies appropriate Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) standards at all times.
- Serves as backup to the ISO.
- Assists in developing agency plans, standards, and guidelines to address existing and new security technology issues and trends.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Minimum Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Four years of relevant full-time work experience in information technology.
- Six additional months of relevant full-time work experience may substitute for 15 semester hours of required education, up to two years.
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university may substitute for one year of the required experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of network security threats and ability to implement preventative controls including: firewalls, access controls, authentication systems, intrusion detection systems, VPNs, and cryptography.
- Knowledge of secure application programming guidelines; system development life cycles and limitations and capabilities of information systems.
- Knowledge of principles, practices, and techniques of management controls and information resources management.
- Knowledge of Windows operating systems and secure file transfer protocols.
- Knowledge of network communication protocols and their use in Internet and intranet applications.
- Knowledge of LAN, WAN and data communications components and their use in an enterprise networks.
- Skills in the use of vulnerability assessment and penetration testing tools.
- Skill in scheduling, testing, installing, and implementing programs.
- Skill in troubleshooting computer systems.
- Skill in analyzing problems and devising solutions.
- Ability to perform analysis of log files from routers, switches, firewalls and other network security devices.
- Ability to complete project assignments within allocated time frame, demonstrating patience and meticulousness in the implementation of information security solutions.
- Ability to troubleshoot network and hardware/software problems, determine appropriate corrective action and implement solutions.
- Ability to develop and interpret standards, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to analyze systems and procedures, write and review standards and procedures, handle multiple projects.
- Ability to communicate effectively in a variety of forms.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with others.
- Ability to work well under pressure and maintain flexibility.
- Bachelor’s degree or above with major college course work in information systems, computer science, management information systems, telecommunications or related.
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), Systems Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP), Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP), Certified Authorization Professional (CAP), Certified Secure Software Lifecycle Professional (CSSLP), Certified Cyber Forensics Professional (CCFP), Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control (CRISC), Certified Information Security Manager (CISM), SANS GIAC Security Essentials (GSEC), CompTIA Security+, Certified Ethical Hacker (GEH).
- Experience managing information security related projects.
- Working knowledge of network and system administration, operation of firewalls, and application security practices.
Physical Requirements and/or Working Conditions:
Work is performed in a standard office environment and requires:
- Regular, reliable, and punctual attendance at work.
- Frequent use of personal computer, copiers, printers and telephones.
- Frequent sitting.
- Frequently works under deadlines, as a team member, and in direct contact with others.
Job offer and continuation of employment with THECB is contingent upon:
- Proof of education and experience listed on the application.
- Eligibility/authorization to work in the U.S.
- Satisfactory results from a pre- employment criminal history background check.
Compliance with the Selective Service Law for males ages 18-25. Please be advised that under Texas law, names and other information concerning applicants or nominees may be subject to disclosure upon request.
THECB does not allow dual employment with other state of Texas agencies or institutions.
Skills assessment may be conducted at time of interview.
The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board is an Equal Opportunity Employer. A State of Texas application is required to apply. For more information on how to apply for this position, go to the Coordinating Board’s employment opportunities website at www.thecb.state.tx.us/apps/jobs.cfm. The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board participates in E-Verify for each new employees Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. For questions please call the HR Department at 512-427-6190. For vocal and/or hearing assistance call 7-1-1, (512) 427-6190.
Job ID: 18-004
For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online, never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn more.