To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
1401 I Street Northwest
Washington, DC 20005
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Email Send Failed!
Director - Government Relations, Public Affairs & Policy
H&R Block Corporate • Washington, DC
Posted 14 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
The Director will lead the development and execution of H&R Block Government Relations’ public affairs positioning, focusing on building and maintaining a validators network through relationships with non-partisan and/or Democratic- and Republican-aligned external third party organizations that shape and influence public policy. The Director will assist with positioning H&R Block as both the “voice of the individual taxpayer" and a thought leader in individual tax, low- to moderate-income consumer financial services and consumer privacy issues.
- Strategic counsel. Providing strategic advice to enable H&R Block to creatively influence the “echo chamber" on issues of importance to the company;
- Establishing and maintaining third party advocacy. Identifying and engaging with non-partisan and/or Democratic- and Republican-aligned external organizations to build third-party support and advocacy for HRB positions, its reputation for expertise and its beneficial role in helping tax payers get the most out of their tax return;
- Relationship management. Leading the development and day-to-day engagement with third parties; and
- Project management. Effectively managing initiatives from start to finish, as well seeing selected on-going projects through to completion.
- Lead and proactively manage relationships with leading academic and research institutions, consumer advocates, and industry and tax practitioner groups, to create a validators network and build H&R Block’s external profile as thought leaders;
- Work with Government Relations and The Tax Institute to develop policy research and analysis ideas and promote those products to third party partners;
- Identify opportunities to creatively bank goodwill for the company by supporting strategic initiatives of third party partners;
- Develop innovative strategies to achieve public affairs’ goals and objectives and ensure alignment and coordination with Government Relations strategy and tactics;
- Manage the deliverables to third parties, including, for example: writers, meeting facilitators and other experts engaged in public affairs outreach activities at public policy conferences, professional meetings, public forums and press conferences;
- Collaborating with Government Relations team, Corporate Communications and Social Media on consumer-facing responses on policy or tax administration issues, as necessary; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of 10 years work experience demonstrating increasing levels of roles and responsibilities with at least 5 to 7 years of demonstrated experience and outcomes working either in Communications in a Congressional office or on a campaign, or Public Affairs work at an agency, company or non-profit. Direct experience as a spokesperson on policy issues a benefit.
- Demonstrated track record of building coalitions to either win a campaign and/or secure legislative and regulatory changes, particularly in the tax, financial services and/or privacy arenas;
- Ability to lead third party advocacy efforts to achieve goals;
- Demonstrated ability to drive change within an organization
- Strong influencing skills and proven ability to manage politically sensitive policy issues;
- Strong planning, organization and decision-making capabilities; must be able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously, resolve conflicts and solve problems with minimum supervision
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead and develop teams. Preferred experience in leading a remote team while maintaining alignment and connection with executive and business priorities.
- Team player with skill and ability to work with senior leaders and functional leaders across the company.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Demonstrated ability to craft written articles or opinion pieces to be by-lined by senior company leaders.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to lead through influence and network. Highly professional demeanor and diplomatic skills. Persuasive, effective and flexible in personal interactions at all levels of the organization
- Working knowledge of tax, financial services and/or consumer privacy.