Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills Essential to Job Functions:
- Written and verbal communication and presentation skills. Must be able interpret and carry out verbal and written assignments.
- Problem analysis and resolution skills.
- Ability to perform maintenance repair, troubleshooting, rebuilds and overhaul of LRV systems equipment and materials.
- Ability to analyze malfunctions in electronic, microcomputer, mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic, electric equipment and determines repair and performs system fabrication and assembly tasks.
- Knowledge of technical math skills.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and correctly use test equipment (voltmeter, ammeter, ohmmeter, oscilloscope, chart recorders, computer based instruments, insulation breakdown testers, wire tracer and other equipment as required).
- Knowledge of hardware/software configuration/troubleshooting, and networking protocols and configuration is essential.
- Work experience, knowledge and ability to diagnosis, repair, perform preventive maintenance and service.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities/priorities simultaneously.
- Must meet established Hampton Roads Transit goals and work standards.
- Knowledge of and experience with electric/mechanical maintenance safety practices as they pertain to light rail vehicles.
- Knowledge of pneumatic, hydraulic systems, mechanical systems, electric, electronic and microprocessor technologies, testing and inspection methods/tools for maintenance and inspections.
- Keep updated with current laws, regulations, and developments in areas related to maintenance operations and maintenance.
- Knowledge of methods and procedures used to repair and maintain high and low voltage electrical switch-gear equipment
- Knowledge of theory and principles of traction power, substation, signal, facility power distribution electrical and electronic equipment and circuits.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of electrical installation.
- Knowledge of laws, ordinances, and regulations covering electrical installation, maintenance safety and accident prevention.
- Ability to read and interpret construction plans, specifications, electronic schematics, electrical and electromechanical schematics, ladder diagrams and diagrams.
Required Software Knowledge and Skills essential to Job Functions:
Proficiency in using computer systems and the listed software applications associated with performance of assigned work is essential. Basic problem solving skills associated with software applications used is expected. Software usage relevant to job duties will be evaluated.
Email, Internet, Microsoft, Microsoft Windows Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and ability to learn the SPEAR maintenance Management System
Training/Education and Required Experience:
- Associates Degree/ Vocational Training certificate in the Electronic or Electrical technical field with a Journeymen electrician license and two (2) years of directly related experience.
- High School Diploma or GED Six (6) years of directly related industry or trade experience. Journeyman/Lineman electrical trade experience or Six (6) years rail vehicle technician experience within the past three (3) years.
- A combination of training, education, and experience that is equivalent to the criterion listed above and satisfies the knowledge, skills, and abilities requirements will also be considered.
- Pass HRT Skills assessment(s) with a minimum 80% score for each segment.
Must have CDL Class B license and/or CDL permit and the ability to acquire within sixty (60) days of employment a valid Virginia CDL Class B license with air brake and passenger endorsements.
- Ability to pass DOT physical examination
- Ability to pass physical examination, Rail Operations Rule Book and DOT physical agility examinations and successfully complete Rail Track Equipment Training/Certification Program and rail vehicle equipment training. Must complete training and demonstrate proficiency in light rail vehicle operation.
- Must meet ongoing educational, training and DOT requirements and maintain On Track Equipment Certification.
- This position is classified as essential personnel.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor, frequently lifting up to 50 pounds and occasionally up to 100 pounds with the assistance of applicable equipment or other employees.
- Ability to meet color and peripheral vision requirements.
- Must be able to work from heights with the assistance of proper safety equipment
- Ability to work in all outdoor weather conditions.
- Risk of electrical shock
- Ability to meet hearing requirements of 0-20db
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work involves meeting multiple demands on a timely basis. Duties will require working weekends and Holidays.