Bilingual Chuukese/English Remote Phone/Video Interpreter
Job Title: Chuukese/English Remote Interpreter
Position: Regular employee position
The Chuukese Telephone/Video Interpreter is responsible for handling calls on demand, and renders the meaning of conversations between the Chuukese and English speakers. The interpreter breaks the communication barrier in a the wide range of industries that LanguageLine Solutions serves: Healthcare, Government, Insurance, Financial, Utilities, Travel & Hospitality, General Business, Law Enforcement, Court, and 911.
The interpreter processes information quickly, concisely and recognizes sensitive cultural differences and he/she is professional and courteous at all times. The interpreter uses appropriate terminology and understands common industry procedures and practices. The calls may involve simple or complex, technical or non-technical subjects.
This position does not involve written translation however translators and other skilled linguists are encouraged to apply. Telephone/Video interpreters translate verbally.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Answer calls promptly and conduct interpretation in a friendly and professional manner.
- Render correct concepts and meanings according to the conventions of established interpretation protocol avoiding omissions or additions.
- Speak clearly in both languages using proper pronunciation, enunciation and polite expressions.
- Maintain a professional demeanor throughout the call at all times.
- Remain calm during calls in the event that one of the primary speakers is incoherent or upset, especially in emergency situations.
- Maintain punctuality and availability during scheduled work hours.
- Follow client instructions, in compliance with protocol to ensure client expectations are met with the Limited English-speaking Person (LEP), avoiding interaction with the LEP without client’s permission.
- Understand protocol and terminology for various industries including, but not limited to, Medical, Insurance, Finance and Law.
- Demonstrate commitment to cultural sensitivity and working in a diverse environment.
- Fluency in Chuukese and English and skilled in the associated cultural dynamics.
- Ability to provide cultural competency and assess regional and accent differences to find ways of communicating with the LEP.
- Excellent listening, retention and note-taking skills to maintain a high level of accuracy during interpretation.
- Education or work experience in language-related fields such as teaching, language assessment, translation or interpretation preferred.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Legally authorized to work in the US
- Applicants for employment in the US must have work authorization that does not now or in the future require sponsorship of a visa for employment authorization in the United States and with LanguageLine Solutions (i.e., H1-B visa, F-1 visa (OPT), TN visa or any other non-immigrant status).
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Candidates who are currently employed by a client of LanguageLine Solutions or an affiliated LanguageLine Solutions business may not be eligible for consideration.
**A pre-employment background check and drug screening is required for this position**
- Must be able to operate a keyboard and mouse and remain in a stationary position in front of a computer the majority of the workday.
- Must have sufficient manual dexterity to type or write.
- Able to lift up to 26 lbs.
- May be exposed to moderate noise levels; i.e. computer, audio, telephone.
OPEN UNTIL FILLED -- EEO/AA
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on race. color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, age, pregnancy, genetic information or any other consideration prohibited by law or contract.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor requesting appropriate employment service delivery systems, such as state workforce agencies and local employment delivery systems, to provide priority referrals of protected veterans.
Click here to apply to Bilingual Chuukese/English Remote Phone/Video Interpreter