Position Summary: Responsible for conducting eligibility screenings, assessment of patient financial requirements, and counseling patients on insurance benefits and co-payments. The Benefits Adviser serves as a liaison between the patient, hospital, and governmental agencies; and is actively involved in all areas of case management.
Recent psychology, sociology, social work and human development graduates are encouraged to apply
Essential Job Functions:
- Screen and evaluate patients for existing insurance coverage, federal and state assistance programs, or hospital charity application.
- Re-verifies benefits and obtains authorization and/or referral after treatment plan has been discussed, prior to initiation of treatment. Ensures appropriate signatures are obtained on all necessary forms.
- Obtain legally relevant medical evidence, physician statements and all other documentation required for eligibility determination.
- Complete and file applications. Initiate and maintain proper follow-up with the patient and government agency caseworkers to ensure timely processing and completion of all mandated applications and accompanying documentation.
- Ensure all insurance, demographic and eligibility information is obtained and entered into the system accurately. Document progress notes to the patient's file and the hospital computer system.
- Participates in ongoing, comprehensive training programs as required.
- Follows policies and procedures to contribute to the efficiency of the office. Covers and assists with other office functions as requested.
- All other duties as assigned Requirements
Working knowledge of medical terminology, practices and procedures, as well as laws, regulations, and guidelines. An understanding of patient confidentiality to protect the patient and the clinic/corporation.
Experience: hospital/medical business office experience with insurance procedures and patient interaction. Strong familiarity with a variety of the field's concepts, practices and procedures. College degree preferred or high school diploma (equivalent).
Competencies: Demonstrated communication, problem solving and case management skills and the ability to act/decide accordingly. Ability to collect, synthesize and research complex or diverse information. Exceptional customer service and the ability to plan organize and exercise sound judgment. Four year bachelors degree is required
Competitive salary and benefits Offered
Maintain Indexed Record
Electronic Medical Record
Maintain Medical Record