This position will provide comprehensive support to Proterra's Connected Technology Team. The Senior Engineering Manager for Software Development will manage and oversee the design and development of applications in our connected vehicles software platform. In this role, you will mentor, motivate and grow a high performing team of talented software engineers, and foster a culture of continuous improvement and long-term growth. The successful candidate will work in a vibrant environment with world-class peers and is expected to display leadership, innovation and flexibility as well as exceptional problem-solving capabilities. Proterra's Connected Technology Team is building Proterra's next-gen Telemetry & IOT (Vehicle and Charger data) platform which will enable our customers to optimize asset utilization, access valuable data & analytics via mobile and SaaS solutions, enable Engineering to monitor and analyze in-service data for continued product improvement, and enable Service with predictive and real-time data to support proactive Customer Support.
About the Role - You Will:
* Have ownership of the application development including development practices, architecture, interoperability and technology.
* Be hands-on with application development and provide leadership across own team and outsourced services to deliver quality releases to our customers on time.
* Provide input for vendor evaluations and investment decisions around our IoT/SaaS technology and team to scale and be reliable/secure.
* Lead the team in adoption/adherence to development best practices and standards.
* Act as a scrum master, collaborate with the product owner & QA, negotiate and drive platform design and implementation to meet requirements while reducing tech debt.
* Maintain team velocity, feature throughput and quality at or above sustainable levels.
* Ensure the platform is built to excel in UX and that the UI adopts appropriate style guides
* Work with cross functional teams such as sales, customers and others to manage expectations and build a good perception of the team.
* Perform regular root cause analysis and drive process changes to mitigate risks and issues
* Create and maintain the code review and unit test framework for our web-based software applications, mobile applications, APIs and communications path.
* Identify and report on key KPIs for software development.
* Other duties as assigned by management.
About Our Group
* As strategic partners, Proterra's Connected Technology Team strives to ensure that our values, culture and engagement always allow us to do great things for our company.
* We strive to provide the highest-level service and support to our clients each and every day.
* We work collaboratively to build strong relationships with our clients, partners, and own team.
* We treat each other with respect, and always try to have a little fun every day!
* This position will be part of Proterra's Connected Technology Team that supports Proterra's Manufacturing and Engineering operations.
* Self-starter with the ability to adapt interpersonal styles and techniques to influence at all levels of the organization.
* Customer-focused attitude, with high level of professionalism and discretion.
* Ability to maintain strict confidentiality, establish trust and credibility, and act with complete integrity.
* Detail-oriented, resourceful and diligent.
* Strong time management and organizational skills.
* Sound judgment and problem-solving skills.
* Excellent English written and verbal communication skills.
Your Experience Includes
* Thorough understanding of the software development lifecycle and tools.
* Leadership and managerial abilities, including the ability to hire, train, and evaluate staff through performance reviews.
* A passion for building application platforms.
* Strong technical and analytical skills.
* Ability to use a wide variety of open source technologies and cloud services (experience with AWS, Docker, and Elastic is required).
* Experience with various frontend and backend technologies such as Amazon IoT, Kibana, Redshift, Glacier, Web Services (REST API), MQTT, React/Angular JS is preferred
* Significant experience scaling solutions that run on private, public, and hybrid cloud infrastructures.
* Knowledge of Scrum/Kanban Agile workflow methodologies.
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or relevant field.
* 10+ years' experience in software design and development delivering effective solutions.
* 5+ years developing SaaS or IOT solutions. Demonstrated experience building SaaS platforms and in IOT design and development.
* 2+ years' experience in a software managerial role or equivalent leading projects and teams
* Able to empathize, sell ideas, and influence others
* Able to multitask, prioritize, and manage time efficiently.
* Experience in utilities or transit industry is a plus.
Location: California, USA
Proterra is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment opportunities to all Employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions, including, but not limited to, lactation or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law or ordinance. Proterra participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program (E-Verify).
- Agile Methodology
- Amazon Redshift
- Amazon Web Services