To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Memphis, TN
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
Email Send Failed!
McLane Company • Memphis, TN
Posted 2 months ago
JOB SUMMARY / GENERAL DESCRIPTION:
This position is responsible for establishing and maintaining a smooth operation of the Transportation Department and helps provide 24-hr coverage. Provides general supervision of all transportation drivers and administrative staff. Primary responsibility is to make sure that all Teammates are on the job at the start of the shift or at the scheduled dispatch time. This position involves the planning, directing, and coordination of all delivery and backhaul activities, and must keep product moving smoothly, accurately, and efficiently.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS / PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES:
Other duties may be assigned. A teammate in this position must have the ability to:
- Direct and motivate Teammates.
- Report any accidents or unsafe conditions to the Transportation Manager and the Safety Manager.
- Be responsible for compliance and knowledge with Federal Department of Transportation regulations and other safety standards. Maintain fleet in a safe manner in accordance with company and governmental standards.
- Keep all mistakes and waste to a minimum and check to make sure that routes are properly set up.
- Maintain effective and timely scheduling of Transportation Teammates, current week and following week schedules should always be posted with a working copy available by request for the next week.
- Facilitate communication within the management team and between the Teammates and management.
- Monitor all scheduled tasks to ensure that they are efficiently completed.
- Provide training as needed to maintain an efficient and knowledgeable work force.
- Enforce general company policies and issuance of coaching/disciplinary documentation to Teammates, final written warning and termination will be presented for approval to the Transportation Manager and/or the Human Resources Manager.
- Be responsible for productivity data including but not limited to unload rates, routes, stops, and pieces; timely scheduling of all routes for “on-time” departures; on-time customer deliveries.
- Be able to interpret the Teammate Handbook.
- Have knowledge of backhaul and transfer procedures.
- Provide departmental coverage and leadership and maintain level of managerial professionalism at all times.
- Assist the Assistant Transportation Manager and/or Transportation Manager with research and development of new techniques and procedures to increase the efficiency of any transportation operation.
- Provide additional assistance with projects and other activities as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
A teammate in this position must:
- Have 3+ years of experience in all facets of outbound transportation, preferably in the food service industry.
- Have mainframe computer software knowledge related to record keeping. Preferred experience on AS 400 Mainframe, Excel, Microsoft Word, and Access programs; People Net, Appian, TMW, or similar programs.
- Be able to write reports, business correspondence, procedure manuals, and inter-company memos/outside correspondence.
- Have 2-3 years of accounting, planning, and analytical and/or reporting experience, in positions with increasing responsibility is preferred.
- Be able to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, and technical procedures.
- Understand financial statements and resulting cost implications.
- Have strong analytical and communication skill with proven ability to work within the framework of the Team.
- Have knowledge of distribution systems to include order routing.
- Understand dispatch issues and procedures.
- Have a bachelor’s degree in a related field is preferred.
- Must be able to ascend and descend from a truck and truck ramp during route rides.
- The environment encompasses all areas of a Distribution Center.
- This position may require work in hot and cold temperature extremes and exposure to dust, dirt, fumes, noise, potentially harmful chemicals, solvents and components, and working in close to proximity to other teammates.