***Schultheis & Panettieri, LLP is NOT a Staffing Firm***
Position Title: Internal Auditor
Department: Internal Audit / Compliance
Reports To: Executive Director
North Atlantic States Carpenters Benefit Funds ("NASCBF") is a large Multi-Employer ERISA regulated Benefit Fund Office in the Boston area that administers retirement, health and other benefits to more than 45,000 active and retired plan participants of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters across New England and certain parts of New York state. The NASCBF is a diverse, multi-generational office of approximately 100 employees with offices in Massachusetts, Connecticut, and New York state.
The NASCBF seeks an Internal Auditor whose primary responsibilities will be to monitor and verify compliance with 1) various Plans provisions; 2) regulatory filings and notices; 3) established internal controls and policies; 4) service provider agreements; and 5) Trustee approvals. They will be responsible for developing and administering an internal audit program and an internal control plan which will include application of specific testing procedures designed to verify compliance, operational and financial reviews, and investigations.
The Internal Auditor is expected to advise management of testing performed, noted findings and risks, and recommend improvements to existing controls, policies, and procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Monitor due dates of required informational and tax filings.
- Monitor due dates of required participant notices.
- Understand Fund Office Policies and verify compliance.
- Understand established internal controls and verify compliance.
- Understand the Funds' contractual obligations with service providers and verify compliance.
- Suggest new/improvements to existing policies, controls, and procedures.
- Develop internal audit program to randomly test compliance with filing requirements, plan provisions, service agreements, and established internal controls and procedures.
- Internal Control Plan / Business Continuity Plan
- Create and manage effective action plans in response to compliance program findings.
- Maintain extensive knowledge of the laws and regulatory guidelines by which NASCBF is required to comply.
- Provide quarterly reports to the Trustees detailing actions taken, testing performed, and related findings.
- Prepare reports for the Executive Director, Senior Management, and the Board of Trustees as warranted and appropriate.
- Liaison with external auditors, third-party entities, and regulatory agencies.
- Ensure employees are educated on controls, policies, and procedures.
- Maintain files detailing tests performed and related findings.
- Other tasks/projects as requested by Executive Director and/or Board of Trustees.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in accounting and/or finance/business management.
- CPA, CIA preferred but not required.
- 5-10 years of audit experience in the employee benefit field.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of Taft Hartley employee benefit plans and related ERISA regulatory/filing requirements.
- Track record of integrity and commitment to professional ethics.
- Highly analytical with strong attention to detail.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Exceptional organization, written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong ability and desire to interact with various levels of administration in a non-controversial manner.
- Detailed understanding of Internal Control Environment and relative risk assessments.
- Ability to travel as may be necessary to various Fund offices across New England and New York state
North Atlantic States Carpenters Benefit Funds offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes employer-paid medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance plans. We also offer paid holidays, vacation, PTO and two retirement plans. At the NASCBF, our employees enjoy a shorter work week (37.5 hours), good work-life balance and work that is always challenging. When you join us, you will have the ability to make a difference!
Relocation assistance is not provided.
- Internal Controls
- Internal Auditing
- Audit Planning
- Auditing Standards
- Audit Report