Requisition ID: 146761
Job Level: Mid Level
Home District/Group: Kiewit Power Engineering
Department: Design Engineering
Employment Type: Full Time
As a Structural Designer you will be applying engineering drafting principles and procedures in performing engineering drafting work. Develops drawings and models with information provided by engineers and designers. Requires close guidance and direction. This position coordinates with other design group team members to review and exchange project information necessary for design and development. Performs specific design functions for the project as assigned. Utilizes Operations Quality Assurance Manual, Operations Drafting/Design Standards Manual and Department quality standards and procedures.
Kiewit Power Delivery is a full-service engineering and construction solutions provider operating across North America. Our experience and expertise span all aspects of the transmission and distribution market from high voltage overhead and underground transmission to distribution and automation design and construction capabilities. With these broad capabilities, we operate in the electric utility, renewable energy, industrial, and oil, gas markets. As part of Kiewit, we are integrated with 135 years of construction and engineering experience that provides holistic solutions, differentiating our team from the rest of the industry.
Our rapidly growing power delivery business has opened new locations across North America to strengthen our market presence while executing work within the communities that we live. We have invested in industry leading design technology and platforms while also expanding our construction equipment fleet with the most advanced, and safest equipment on the market. We are committed to building upon our history as one of the safest companies to work for by equipping our craft with the best tooling and safety programs available.
We are an innovative team that prides itself on continuous improvement and always delivering on our commitments to our clients and ourselves. Our staff collaborates with Kiewit’s vast internal network of resources that span heavy civil and infrastructure, vertical and commercial buildings, mining, as well our oil and gas and power generation markets, to drive safe and cost-effective solutions that achieve client expectations and further Kiewit’s legacy of excellence.
On our team, you’ll have the opportunity to see more, touch more, and do more than you ever imagined. Working hard will not only bring you satisfaction from a job well done, but it will help propel your career forward faster than you might expect. Kiewit’s culture encourages training, developing your skills, and tailoring your experience and knowledge to allow you to take on projects that impact millions across North America. With top-notch health benefits, a wealth-building 401k plan, and unbeatable growth opportunities, by joining Kiewit, you’re ensuring a lifetime of success.
This position is based out of Raleigh, NC.
• Reports project progression updates and/or issues to Lead Designer as required. Informs Manager and/or Lead Designer of project decisions that differ from Kiewit Engineering & Design Co. standards.
• Learns applicable engineering national and local codes.
• Participates in meetings as required: i.e., Weekly Project Meetings.
• Assists in job related activities with project team members.
• Checks design for consistency, safety, operability and maintenance requirements before submitting to checking.
• Develops 3D models utilizing drawings, sketches, and design skills.
• Develops the capability of checking and navigating in the 3D models for interferences and constructability.
• Creates plan drawings and details.
• Creates Plot Plans and General Arrangement drawings.
• Files the master sets/originals, superseded drawings and originals as required in a timely manner.
• Completes as-builts by utilizing RFIs, ECNs and red-marked drawings from construction to develop “Conformed to Construction Records” as required.
• Completes miscellaneous tasks to support project development.
• Creates guidelines, checklists or other applicable knowledge based documents as assigned.
• Provides lessons learned throughout the project by utilizing the Lessons Learned Database.
• Gathers information needed to develop drawings.
• Resolves checked drawings; prove and understand the comments made.
• Associate degree or High School diploma + 2 years’ experience as a minimum.
• 10-18 years' minimum relevant experience.
• Self directs work with limited supervision.
• Provides guidance, leadership and training to less experienced designers.
• Leads small team to complete task/design on project.
• Work with project team as representative and coordinates work within discipline department.
• Adjusts to varying demands of work and performs well.
• Communicates effectively with supervisor and members of immediate department.
• Works collaboratively across departments and involves others in solving problems.
• Supports project teams and departments in a positive and productive manner. Works well with other to accomplish common goals and objectives.
• Serves as technical resource to engineers, designers and construction.
• Experience utilizing a computer-aided drafting program (MicroStation, AutoCAD, Navis Works) and have knowledge of the latest computer operating systems; thorough understanding of spreadsheets and databases.
• Continuously looking for ways to improve processes for customers and makes recommendations for improvements.
We offer our fulltime staff employees a comprehensive benefits package that’s among the best in our industry, including top-tier medical, dental and vision plans covering eligible employees and dependents, voluntary wellness and employee assistance programs, life insurance, disability, retirement plans with matching, and generous paid time off.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
- Auto Cad