The Endovascular Radiologic Technologist II, is an experienced, fully competent Radiologic Technologist who performs highly specialized radiological procedures involving complex imaging equipment and techniques to produce quality images to diagnose and treat medical abnormalities. Assists physicians with therapeutic procedures that encompass vascular, neurological, spinal, and multi organ interventions from diagnostic examinations such as angiography and venography to complex treatments of stroke, aneurysms, embolization of hemorrhages or tumors of any area of the brain and body, catheter placements for drains or arterial infusions, and other image-guided interventions that are adjunct to OR procedures. A member of the direct patient care team, actively participates and scrubs into vascular and interventional cases to assist with the movement and alignment of equipment and control of radiation throughout procedures. Serves as a mentor to Endovascular Radiologic Tech I's, Endovascular RN's, residents, and students by utilizing skills and knowledge to help train and educate others. Works independently in two or more areas of Endovascular to include Dunn OR and outside HMH vascular/ interventional departments, exercising sound judgment and executing above average clinical skills on challenging diagnostic procedures and patient care situations. Delivers exceptional patient care and adheres to radiation standards and guidelines established by radiology agencies to ensure optimal patient safety and customer service. This job requires availability to be on call.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
PEOPLE - 20%
- Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating results and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. (EF)
- Orients, guides and mentors team members consisting of Endovascular Tech I's, Endovascular RN's, students, and support staff to help build confidence and competency in skills, knowledge and abilities. (EF)
SERVICE - 30%
- Performs highly specialized radiological procedures involving complex imaging equipment and techniques to produce quality images to diagnose and treat medical abnormalities. Works independently in two or more areas of Endovascular to include Dunn OR and outside HMH vascular/ interventional departments exercising sound judgment and executing above average clinical skills on challenging diagnostic procedures and patient care situations. (EF)
- Assists physicians with therapeutic procedures that encompass vascular, neurological, spinal, and multi organ interventions from diagnostic examinations such as angiography and venography to complex treatments of stroke, aneurysms, embolization of hemorrhages or tumors of any area of the brain and body, catheter placements for drains or arterial infusions, and other image-guided interventions that are adjunct to OR procedures. (EF)
- Actively participates and scrubs into the Endovascular Lab cases to assist with the movement and alignment of equipment as well as the control of radiation throughout procedures. (EF)
- Provides care for the physical needs of patients by executing various Radiologic concepts to maximize performance. This includes: positioning, physiology, procedure preparation, and technical factors. Modifies technical factors to achieve desired imaging results and recognizes complications / limitations associated with certain procedures. Proactively identifies how to address these for optimum outcomes. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
- Follows radiation safety standards and conducts all imaging procedures accordingly. Properly utilizes patient radiation protection and immobilization during diagnostic procedures. Maintains proper sterile techniques for procedures, regularly practices aseptic techniques, and ensures compliance with infection control procedures. Complies with job, departmental and hospital safety standards, practices and policies. (EF)
- Reports 'near misses' and inputs errors promptly into PSN to improve processes and identify trends. Contributes to identification of corrective actions and improvement activities, and contributes to meeting departmental and hospital targets for quality and safety.
- Ensures all imaging equipment has had QC performed as required and is in safe working order prior to use. Reports any malfunctions to management and regularly practices preventive maintenance procedures; calls for service if needed. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Provides accurate and complete documentation of patient procedures. Enters charges at the time service is delivered. (EF)
- Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Participates in departmental projects and shared governance activities.
- Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as an Endovascular Radiology Tech II.
- Fosters a positive and constructive teaching environment by engaging students and co-workers (Endovascular Special Procedures I and Endovascular RN's) in learning opportunities that are valuable and in alignment with business objectives.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing body for the required credential(s) indicated below
Bachelor's degree preferred
At least 3 years' experience as an Endovascular/Special Procedures Technologist I; may consider HM Cath Lab Radiologic Technologist II with at least three years' experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
American Registry of Radiologic Technologist in Radiography (ARRT (R))
Registration as a Medical Radiologic Technologist (MRT-GC)
American Heart Association BLS
American Heart Association ACLS preferred
Certification in Vascular Interventional Radiology and/or Registered Cardiovascular Specialist preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills and competency assessments
- Possesses basic computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems to include, Hospital / Radiology Information Systems and Office software to maintain patient and exam documents
- Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers
- Adapts to multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision including, organizing work flow and actively participating in problem-solving
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
Houston Methodist The Woodlands opened in 2017 as the eighth hospital in the Houston Methodist system. This 187-bed, 470,000-square-foot, full-service, acute care hospital offers many of the same services as our flagship hospital in the Texas Medical Center. Also on the $380 million hospital campus, located at the intersection of I-45 and TX 242, is a medical office building, which opened in 2016. Medical Office Building 1 includes a breast care center, cancer center & infusion center, orthopedics & sports medicine, rehabilitation services, wellness services, and an outpatient laboratory in addition to multi-specialty physician practices. A second medical office building and 785-car parking garage opened in 2018.
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (Acls)
- Business Planning
- Catheterization Laboratory
- Clinical Works