Description Job Description:
Leidos is seeking a Systems Engineer to perform systems engineering & modelling, integration, and test efforts on Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) programs. The candidate will utilize classic Systems Engineering and Models Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) techniques within an Agile development effort. This position is responsible for technical planning and full life-cycle design, development, and integration in support of the UAS community. Although this is a technical/engineering position, communication and interpersonal skills are crucial in this role. The candidate will be expected to interface with Government personnel, subcontractors, and management to identify required activities, perform collaborative planning, review deliverables, and resolve issues. Industry and DoD standard engineering methodologies, processes, and tools will be used to perform problem solving, solution design, integration and test preparation, risk assessment and mitigation planning, and related activities.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Acts as a proponent to ensure successful systems engineering input and work product to the US Army UAS programs
• Assessment of customer technical inputs (objectives, requirements, etc.) for the related project
• Provide guidance for and creation of hardware / software requirements and/or related MBSE models
• Perform and presents trade studies / analysis of alternatives
• Develops model-based system engineering products at the systems and subsystems level
• Develops and transforms low/high-level design artifacts into systems design in accordance with an MBSE approach
• Develops and maintains engineering documentation, processes, designs, diagrams, and other artifacts in accordance with project and functional leadership direction and applicable processes
• Leads efforts to resolve technical issues among internal & external customers with no supervision required
• As necessary, coordinates and communicates with US Army UAS stakeholders, end users, and internal & external customers and leadership
• Supports development of Verification & Validation (i.e. Test) plans
• Performs integration, troubleshooting, testing, and documentation of UAS engineering tasks
• Providing input for and review of Concept of Operations (CONOPS) and related products
• Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Systems Engineering or related engineering field plus at least 4 years of working experience
• Ability to diagnose complex system problems and develop innovative solutions
• Ability to work and collaborate in team-based environment using collaboration tools such as Confluence, Jira, and SharePoint
• Ability to participate in cross-functional planning, coordination, and task execution situations involving the full spectrum of system integration activities
• Strong troubleshooting, problem solving, organizational, and verbal/written communication skills.
• Familiar with Department of Defense program management and communication methodologies
• Familiar with traditional Systems Engineering requirements analysis and management efforts and tools such as DOORS
• Familiar with MBSE approach, related Industry standard engineering methodologies, and tools such as Magic Draw, Cameo, or Rhapsody
• Familiar with Agile development paradigm, particularly for software development
• Familiar with major programming language(s) or software testing
• Proficient with Microsoft Office suite (i.e., Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Project and Outlook)
• Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret clearance
• Up to 15% CONUS travel required
• Willing to relocate to Huntsville, Alabama if not local
• Active DoD Secret Clearance
• Background in Aviation – design, testing, operations, etc.
• Strong report and/or technical writing experience
• Prior experience in models based engineering efforts and tools (e.g. Rhapsody / Magic Draw / Cameo and UML / SysML)
• Prior experience in an Agile development effort on a DoD program
• Experience with C, C++, Python development, integration, or testing
• Knowledge and understanding of multiple engineering disciplines (Systems, Safety, Integration, Software, Operations, Avionics, etc.)
• Master of Science degree in related engineering field or two (2) years’ related experience
• Familiarity with requirements or operations of RQ-7Bv2 Shadow and MQ-1C Gray Eagle platforms
• Experience with EVMS / CAM duties
• Experience developing Basis of Estimates (BOEs) for new opportunities
AirborneISRExternal Referral Bonus:
EligiblePotential for Telework:
NoClearance Level Required:
Yes, 10% of the timeScheduled Weekly Hours:
Systems EngineeringPay Range:
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.