General Purpose:Job Requirements
Are members of the interdisciplinary team who provide hands-on personal care, report changes in the client’s condition, perform simple procedures as an extension of therapy or nursing services, and provide incidental/instrumental activities of daily living to clients in the home setting as evaluated/delegated and as permitted by the policies and procedures of Interim HealthCare and any other federal, state and local law or regulation. Applicability of this Job Description:
This job description for a Personal Care Aide may be used only
in the following situations:
- In an organization that is not subject to the Medicare Conditions of Participation; or
- In an organization that is subject to the Medicare Conditions of Participation, a Home Care Aide may be employed exclusively to furnish personal care aid-only services under a Medicaid personal care benefit. [CITE: 42CFR §484.80(i)]
- Reads and records client temperature, pulse, and respiration.
- Promotes and maintains a clean, safe, healthy, and therapeutic client environment.
- Assists, performs and trains client and family in activities of daily living such bathing, grooming, nail and skin care, oral hygiene, dressing/undressing, toileting and elimination, eating and adequate nutritional intake.
- Assists client with mobility, ambulation, transfers and/or range of motion exercises or exercise programs.
- Assists client with home-making activities such as shopping, errands, light laundering, meal planning and preparation, serving of meals, socialization activities, and child care.
- Assists in medication reminding.
- Assists in administering medications ordinarily self-administered.
- Immediately reports medication administration errors, client medication refusals, and evidence of any adverse reaction or side-effects of medications to the delegating registered nurse.
- Utilizes infection prevention and control measures, such as universal precautions; handwashing; safe handling of equipment, soiled items, and sharp devices; and appropriate use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Follows the assignment sheet/service plan and performs only tasks that are evaluated/delegated.
- Recognizes, reports, and records/documents change in client condition and safety to supervisor.
- Documents observations, activities and service provided in an accurate, complete and timely manner.
- Organizes self to carry out visits/shifts and tasks.
- Completes mandatory Interim HealthCare in-services.
- Provides requested documents to keep employee file current.
- Completes other assignments as requested as delegated/requested.
- Participates in the Office’s Emergency Preparedness Program, as requested.
- Participates in Quality Assessment and Performance Improvement (QAPI) program, as requested.
- Honors patient rights.
- Accesses personal health information (“PHI”) necessary to fulfill the above duties and responsibilities. Access to use and ability to disclose PHI is further defined by each organization/department.
Minimum Education & Experience Required: Job Benefits
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Age of majority in the state.
- Training, certification or registration required by state and federal law and regulation.
- Six (6) months of accumulated experience in a similar job classification, similar life experience; OR
- A graduate of a training and competency program as required by the Office and State or Federal law/regulation; or
- A school of nursing student in the last year of a program; or
- A graduate RN or LPN/LVN with proof of graduation.
- Able to effectively communicate in English with all levels of the workforce, both clinical and non-clinical.
- Able to effectively communicate, including the ability to read, write, and verbally report clinical information to clients, client’s caregivers and family, and agency staff.
- Able to perform and prioritize multiple tasks or functions.
Working Conditions & Physical Effort:
- Two (2) positive references.
- Evidence of passing a written knowledge exam/competency evaluation.
- Meets applicable state and federal health screening requirements.
- Pass state required criminal and abuse background checks where required.
- Verification of employment eligibility (I-9) in accordance with local, state, and federal law and regulations.
- Able to provide proof of valid driver’s license, if applicable.
- Able to provide proof of valid auto liability insurance if assignment(s) include driving own vehicle to transport a client.
- Able to constantly travel within geographic area serviced by Office from assignment to assignment.
- Work is normally performed in client’s home.
- Occasional exposure to communicable diseases, bloodborne pathogens and/or other potentially infectious or hazardous materials that require following safety precautions and may include use of personal protective equipment (e.g. face masks, goggles, latex and or non-latex gloves).
- Able to constantly stand, bend, stoop, twist, stretch, squat, kneel, walk, climb stairs and reach freely.
- Able to frequently lift, reposition, and transfer clients and assist with standing and walking.
- Able to frequently carry bundles, such as groceries and laundry up or down stairs and lift with or without assistance.
- Able to constantly grasp with thumb in opposition to fingers of palm (i.e. DME supplies, knobs or objects).
- Able to read 8 point or larger type.
- Medium physical activity that may require frequent lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling up to 50 lbs.
Activity/conditions exist 0-2.5 hrs/day or up to 30% Frequently
Activity/conditions exist 2.5–5.5 hrs/day or over 30% Constantly
Activity/conditions exist 5.5 hrs/day or over 60% Sedentary
Lifting/carrying up to 10 lbs Light
Lifting/carrying/pushing/pulling up to 20 lbs Medium
Lifting/carrying/pushing/pulling up to 50 lbs Heavy
Lifting/carrying/pushing/pulling over 50 lbs Very Heavy
Lifting/carrying/pushing/pulling over 100 lbs
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Free Education Courses
- Flexible Assignment to fit your Needs
- Competitive Salary and Benefits
- Paid Time Off
- Health Coverage
Interim HealthCare is America's leading provider of home care, hospice and healthcare staffing. We offer one of the most comprehensive selections of career opportunities in the industry ranging from per diem to full-time.
If you're looking for a stable career opportunity, look no further. We offer the security of working for an established company. Nationally, Interim HealthCare has been providing great jobs to great people for over 50 years and there are more than 300 offices across the country. That kind of stability combined with our commitment to integrity makes us your perfect career partner.
Interim HealthCare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Each Interim HealthCare location is independently owned and operated. ©2018 Interim HealthCare Inc.Other Info
- Job City: Saratoga Springs
- Job State: NY
- Employee Type: PRN
Licensed Practical Nurse
Registered Nurse Certified
Licensed Vocational Nurses