To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Richmond, VA
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
Email Send Failed!
Oral Health Educator
Mobile Dentists • Richmond, VA
Posted 24 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
School-based mobile dental program, the Smile Programs, is looking for an Oral Health Educator!
Smile Programs is a school-based dental program, serving children for almost 20 years. Our Mission is to bring dental care to students in schools, in the most comfortable and effective way. We have immediate openings for a Part-time Oral Health Educator, Monday-Thursday.
In your role, you will be traveling to one/two schools per day around Richmond and surrounding counties (up to 2 hour radius) giving short presentations while distributing consent forms from classroom to classroom in grades K-8. You will be interacting with teachers, nurses, and students.
This position requires an energetic and motivated person that enjoys helping children to explain and communicate the need and importance of good dental care for children.
- Implement outreach activities to increase access to dental services, boxed handouts for distribution (toothbrushes and permission slips) and school check ins.
- Provides oral health education to classrooms Pre-K to 8th grade.
- Reach out to local community programs (WIC/Woman Infant & Children offices, Head-Start/Early Head-Start programs, health fairs, etc.) to arrange and deliver oral health education and dental services to at-risk populations.
- Participates in fairs, creates/disseminate fliers and newsletters, answers questions regarding oral health care and explains the scope of service provided by the program.
- Provides oral health education with cultural competence and sensitivity.
- Creates relationships with school nurse to excite about oral programs and encourage a partnership.
- Background in health care, dental care, or education a plus
- Daily travel throughout Richmond, VA and surrounding counties
- Available to work Monday-Thursday
- Valid driver license with reliable transportation.
- Professional appearance
- Background in health care, dental care or education a plus.
- Subject to state and federal background checks and other requirements needed to work in schools with children.
- Minimum Associates Degree required.
Details and Benefits:
NO WEEKENDS, EVENINGS AND SUMMERS!! This position is part-time and follows the academic school year calendar. Great opportunity for those wanting to follow the same schedule as school children. Required travel up to 2 hour radius from home. Please write a short intro explaining a bit about yourself along with your resume. We are hiring soon so don't delay!
Who We Are
Smile Programs is the nation's leading in-school dental program founded almost two decades ago by two moms, who happen to also be dentists. The founders saw a tremendous need among underserved school aged children who did not have easy access to dental care and who often suffered from poor oral hygiene, tooth decay, pain and associated medical problems. Knowing that many parents could not take their children to the dentist due to issues including time off from work and transportation challenges, they sought to bring the care to the need. Today, through its dental partners, Smile Programs provides preventative and restorative care to approximately 500,000 children per year.
Tooth decay is the most common, and preventable disease among children, more common than asthma. In fact, each year, over 51 million school hours are lost due to oral health related issues.
Smile Programs affiliates with state licensed dentists, hygienists and assistants who use state-of-the-art portable equipment to provide all services onsite, directly in the school or in a self-contained mobile dental facility on site at the school. If portable equipment is used, classrooms, auditoriums or other school venues are literally transformed into fully functional dental offices for the day. Our expertise, obtained through years of experience bringing mobile dental care to schools, as well as through our highly qualified staff, enables us to bring exceptional care with minimal disruption to the normal school routine.
Smile Programs is currently active in 20 states and has ongoing strategic partnerships with over 8,000 school districts, including 21 of the 25 largest school districts in the country.
Given the ongoing lack of access for many underserved children across the country, our services are in great demand and we are always looking for caring, compassionate professionals to join our team and play their part in making a difference in the lives of today's underserved children.
Rewarding Work. Competitive Compensation. Smile Programs.
Smile Programs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status.