Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Our location in Lake Bluff, IL currently has an opportunity for a Sr. Paralegal.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Abbott is seeking a Patent Paralegal to work in the Patent and Trademark Department supporting the Diagnostic businesses. The Paralegal will assist in all phases of patent prosecution for multiple patent attorneys as well as contract/agreement review.
- The Paralegal will draft contract language for intellectual property agreements including Confidentiality, Research Study, Clinical Study, Material Transfer, and Service agreements. The Paralegal will conduct initial reviews of License and Supply Agreements.
- The Paralegal will assist with various project work including License Royalty reviews, Freedom to Operate tracking, Template Committee, training on IP provisions of Agreements, and others as needed. The Paralegal may also assist with conducting legal and competitive research and developing standard operating procedures.
- Additionally, the Paralegal will be responsible for coordinating Patent Review Committee meetings, preparing reports for new inventions disclosures, foreign filing decisions, EP allowances, annuity decisions and overall patent portfolio management.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- Required 5-6 plus years of experience in an intellectual property legal support function.
- Must have an advanced understanding of the patent application process and an appreciation for the legal, business, and budgetary impact of various milestones between new invention disclosures, patent application filing, and finally to patent expiration.
- Proactively takes ownership for the patent portfolio making updates as appropriate.
- Experience reviewing IP related agreements/contracts.
- Must be self-motivated and detail-oriented with high work standards.
- Excellent organization, interpersonal, with strong oral and written communication skills.
- High level of discretion, maturity and ethical integrity.
- Must be able to prioritize, meet deadlines, and be flexible to adapt to ever changing organizational needs.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suites including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and IManage (document repository).
- Experience in IP Manager, USPTO, PAIR, Patbase, EPO on-line, and others preferred, not required.
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or ABA approved Paralegal Certificate, IP Paralegal Certificate (or other relevant legal education) required.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Sr. Paralegal
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Sr. Paralegal, on Facebook at [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Sr. Paralegal and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.
- Intellectual Properties
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Power Point
- Microsoft Office