The Area Logistics Manager (ALM) position is responsible for managing private fleet, outsourced transportation fleets and courier networks (in-market) across multiple business units within AAP. The ALM will be accountable for developing innovative logistics solutions, supporting company growth initiatives, and meeting or exceeding organizational goals within the regional structure. Responsible for promoting synergies in the supply chain network across business units, and for leveraging fixed assets through network optimization, conversion of inbound suppliers to collect, and generation of third party revenue.
This position will support the regional Director strategically and tactically in responding to key marketplace developments, trends, opportunities or threats as well as proactively addressing key customer initiatives. The ALM is responsible for all aspects of planning, monitoring, executing, and analyzing freight operations, planning tools, compliance, and standard operating procedures. The ALM makes decisions that maximize the performance, cost metrics, and safety of the department.
This role has additional responsibility for our Montgomery AL location, but will be based out of Thomson GA.
•• Frequent overnight travel required (approx. 40%)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Demonstrate advanced level of knowledge regarding supply chain, warehousing, logistics and transportation concepts
- Demonstrates understanding of AAP business partners
- Provides resources and coaching to support others’ continuous in-role and long-term growth
- Emphasizes the perspective that individuals and teams are never done learning
- Provides honest, helpful feedback to others
- Supports succession planning for effectively backfilling roles
- Understands staffing needs and personnel requirements to operate the business
- Ensures proper onboarding of employees (e.g., through coaching and development)
- Trains next-level managers to understand levers necessary for ensuring adequate staffing levels (e.g., bring new staff online, reducing turnover).
- Promotes cross functional experiences within the group to increase breadth of knowledge/skills
- Understands flow of P/L and participates in hitting controllable expense targets
- In-depth knowledge of distribution and transportation processes.
- Effective communicator and ability to manage through influence.
- Proven ability to manage complex projects on time and budget.
- Strong team builder in working cross functionally.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree in Business, Logistics, or another related area; and 7 years Transportation experience with at least 3 years of either Inbound or Outbound Transportation experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.