Have you ever enjoyed Arnold®, Brownberry® or Oroweat® bread? A Thomas’® English muffin or bagel? Or perhaps snacked on a Sara Lee®, Entenmann’s® or Marinela® cake or donut? If the answer is yes, then you know Bimbo Bakeries USA!
The Market Sales Leader (MSL) is responsible for achieving sales growth and freshness, people
growth, market share growth, and customer relationship and growth and brand
health by creating sales opportunities, leading the execution of DSD Excellence and ensuring critical field sales initiatives are
developed, managed and executed effectively in the marketplace. Additional
responsibilities may include leading the execution of DSD route sales in the
market and supporting the attainment of world-class sales centers in rural
The MSL will lead execution of the sales Direct Store
Delivery Excellence (DSDE) Playbook throughout the marketplace in service of
the Frontline sales force with
the objective of driving growth of our people and the business.
The MSL coaches and supports the direct frontline as they
execute, prospect and pursue new business, recommend appropriate solutions for
each customer, grow existing customer accounts and ensure customer retention.
The MSL will use their
leadership and sales expertise to own stewardship of our brands in stores, deliver world-class sales and merchandising,
meet clients’ critical needs and provide nutritious and delicious baked goods
and snacks for all consumers. Take pride in the platform
to foster the personal and professional growth of the team within a highly
productive and deeply humane purpose.
Key Job Responsibilities:
Mindsets & Behaviors
- Embraces, embodies and leads DSDE practices and acts upon the vision and values of BBU on a daily basis
- Exemplifies the characteristics of BBU and its brands and extends those brand values through daily activities and leadership and interactions in the workplace
- Establishes team goals and communicates them to help achieve performance targets
- Fosters an atmosphere of continuous improvement to include the development of self, teams, and work processes.
- Embraces the value of constant improvement to take appropriate actions that result in demonstrated, constructive change
Roles & Responsibilities
- Develops strategic plans to deliver on sales targets in order to grow overall business within existing accounts and pursues business relationships with expansion customers to generate new business.
- Establishes store-level growth plans that connect to the Zone objectives for revenue, freshness, and realization; while building customer relationships that align with planned store level growth goals. Communicates plans and conducts reviews quarterly with business partners to identify opportunities and action plans
- Executes on all growth opportunities to grow market share on strategic brands through the execution of incremental displays.
- Utilizes sales data to help drive effective decisions with the frontline sales person as well as drive brand growth with customers through the acquisition of new space and displays.
- Engages sales people in all facets of planning route sales activity, including order management, daily distribution, merchandising, promotional activity, and holiday planning in order to meet the customers’ in store expectations.
- Establishes effective customer relationships to initiate and maximize sales in retail, restaurant, and institutional customers; ensures client retention by exceeding expectations with new and current customers.
- Engages and develops core competencies in sales people through training, coaching, mentoring, and consistent performance feedback in order to grow overall business.
- Coaches on Order Management disciplines per the DSDE Playbook to maximize freshness.
- Leads consistent execution of the DSD Excellence world-class sales practices in the market
- Holds sales people accountable for meeting key performance targets; executes procedures and programs to increase team productivity, team effectiveness, & quality of work.
- Holds merchandisers accountable for the execution of world class merchandising and meeting customers’ expectations for down day service.
- Maintains accounts receivable, payment due balances, and Scan Based (SBT) accounts per policy.
- Achieves the field safety goals; delivers on safety awareness programs accordingly to eliminate unsafe acts, eliminate workplace injuries, and lead local organization to achieve the goal of zero injuries.
- Recruits sales professionals and supports route splits and route productivity initiatives.
- Identifies potential business partners and participates in the interview process for new hires.
- Additional duties as assigned
Bimbo Bakeries USA is part of Grupo Bimbo, the world’s largest baking company with operations in 32 countries. Bimbo Bakeries USA (“BBUSA”) includes BBUSA and its subsidiaries and affiliated entities, including, but not limited to, Wholesome Harvest Baking, East Balt, and Acelerada. BBUSA employs 20,000 associates across the U.S. in bakeries, sales centers, corporate offices and on sales routes to ensure our consumers have the freshest products to feed their families at every meal. But our associates come to work for much more – the chance to feed their own lives through exciting work that offers the opportunity to make a real difference in their professional and personal lives every day.
- Delivers on key performance indicators for territory: revenue, VCM, returns, compliance, store selling and average displays
- Utilizes data tools to analyze business and identify store-level opportunities.
- Utilizes tablet and sales data on a daily basis to drive effective decisions at store
- Establishes and maintain strong customer relations exceeding customer expectations
- Monitors of results against plan and taking of appropriate actions to achieve objectives
- Shares performance data with store and frontline sales people
Retail Best Practices
- Follows all the steps of store visit and the Golden Path Tour in store consistently
- Utilizes DSDE Shelf Best Practice to ensure adherence to brand and store planograms
- Utilizes DSDE Display Best Practices to drive optimal sales and world-class merchandising presentation
- Creates and acts upon secondary display opportunities within store to meet DSDE Optimal Display Placements
Key Behavioral Competencies:
Market Sales Leader Specific Competencies:
- Ability to engage and inspire frontline associates and business partners to pursue the BBU vision for growth
- Ability to expand business value opportunities, guide sales opportunities, and motivate the frontline sales people to accomplish zone goals and targets.
- Demonstrates business acumen
- Ability to align performance for success
Sales Leader Core Competencies:
- Ability to create a culture and team with operational capabilities to achieve BBU’s objectives.
- Ability to create culture where encouragement and recognition are fundamental operational tenets.
- Ability to empower and involve associates in planning and decision making.
- Ability to engage and develop others through coaching.
- Ability to establish objectives, ownership of work, and accountability for results.
- Ability to provide vision and champion change
- Ability to build credibility and lead by example
- Ability to solve complex problems and make profitable decisions
- Ability to Influence and inspire
Sales Professional Core Competencies:
- Ability to exchange complex information effectively to reach agreement in ambiguous or difficult situations
- Ability to negotiate and communicate effectively while building trust with others.
- Operates with a sense of urgency and takes initiative.
- Ability to actively listen and clearly communicate to build trust.
- Ability to mindfully plan in order to drive results
- Ability to operate with a customer focused mindset with the intent to build mutually beneficial partnerships.
Education and Work History:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or related field. A combination of education, training and experience that results in demonstrated competency to perform the work may be substituted.
Ideal candidate will possess:
- 3-5 years of related experience in customer relations or sales.
- DSD experience is a plus.
- At least 6 months experience leading and influencing others (A combination of training and experience that results in demonstrated competency to perform the work may be substituted.
- Requires excellent written and oral communication skills, as well as the ability to effectively negotiate and influence others.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills.
- Computer skills and proficiency, specifically PowerPoint, Excel, and Word is required.
- Must have a valid driver's license with a safe driving record.
- Must be able to acquire and maintain a DOT Medical card
- Bilingual - English/Spanish a plus.
- Travel Required up to 5%
- The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be requested to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to use a variety of communication methods on frequent basis.
- Use a notebook computer and standard office equipment printers, fax, phone etc.
- Able to sit, stand, stoop and have use of hand motor coordination regularly.
- Use various forms of transportation for extended periods of time on periodic basis.
Bimbo Bakeries USA is an equal opportunity employer with a policy that provides equal employment opportunity for applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, disability, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, promotion, compensation, reassignment, layoff, discharge, education, training and all other working conditions. To further the principle of equal employment opportunity, Bimbo Bakeries USA has developed affirmative action plans for minorities and women, qualified individuals with disabilities, and Vietnam-era and special disabled veterans and other protected veterans.
- Customer Retention