Purpose of Job
We are seeking a talented Lead Infrastructure Engineer for our San Antonio, TX facility.
USAA values a culture that is highly collaborative, and we have found that a hybrid work type helps employees gain the best of both worlds – collaborating in-person in the office and working from home when needed to achieve focused deliverables. The actual days onsite are determined between each employee and the employee’s manager.
The candidate selected for this team will have the opportunity to work with cutting edge technologies in our Public Cloud Enablement Journey at USAA within the Cloud Services Organization. They will work with IaC tools and technologies to enable and support a variety of IaaS services (Compute, Storage, Network) for Cloud Platforms such as AWS. Additionally, they will be working on our Public Cloud Control maturity, Availability Management, and Cloud FinOps maturity.
Responsible for creating, modifying, and maintaining infrastructure and individual system components that enable business functions and IT Services. Balance availability, security, efficiency and functional requirements to help provide an optimized production service. Identify and manage existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and ensure these risks are effectively identified and escalated to be measured, monitored and controlled.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
About USAA IT
Our most meaningful qualification isn't technical, it's human. Here, we don't just sit in front of a screen. We stand behind our 13 million members who rely on us every day.
We're proud of USAA's strong history -- and we're even more passionate about our future. That's why we have a team of supportive and collaborative hardworking technology professionals focused on doing more for our members. And why we're continuing to add innovative problem solvers to our team. With us, you'll find exciting challenges that inspire you to continue learning and growing.
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies, standards, and procedures for business activities.
- As a subject matter expert guides team in the design of highly complex, scalable IT systems infrastructure; creates and enforces standards for system change; manages execution for the most complex implementations, ensures service delivery and maintenance tasks are appropriately automated, and Influences and guides monitoring and tooling activities
- Leads resolution of the most complex production issues and guides troubleshooting of end-to-end solutions that span multiple systems
- Provides real-time complex trouble-shooting support for major incidents.
- Work side by side with lead Architecture to establish tech requirements and perform lab testing / data results gathering for tech decisions.
- Identify and implement process improvements; Expert understanding of IT infrastructure management and automating service delivery best practices.
- Collaborates with stakeholders to evaluate and share information about the customer issues and the identification of solutions Provides internal team leadership by mentoring engineers, coaching engineers on design, development, and maintenance of systems and tools, techniques and processes.
- Prioritizes, assigns, and monitors work assignments under the direction of management.
- Actively participates in industry, COE, or other discipline-relevant groups/panels to keep abreast of industry trends and share best practices with team.
- Bachelor's degree or 4 additional years of experience beyond the minimum requirement can be used in lieu of a degree.
- 8 years of infrastructure experience demonstrating depth of technical understanding within a specific discipline(s)/technology(s) to include 3 years' experience in Systems Operations environment supporting complex environment deployment and infrastructure management activities or applicable IT experience such as IT Management, Software Development, Data Engineering, and Agile Product/Release Management.
- 6 years of experience Implementing technical solutions and providing high quality support for computer hardware, operating systems, or enterprise application software.
- 2 years demonstrated technical leadership experience and/or leading teams.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully partnering with business teams and leaders to design and manage highly available, complex, secure, enterprise infrastructure, and associated components, including servers, storage, network, and virtualized systems, database, client computing, mainframe, public cloud, Infrastructure as Code.
- Advanced level of business acumen in the areas of business operations, risk management, industry practices and emerging trends.
- Knowledge and advanced understanding of designing scalable IT system infrastructures, implementing system changes, or automating service delivery and maintenance tasks
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your responses.
- At least 6 years of experience as a Software Developer, DevOps Engineer, or Infrastructure Engineer.
- 3 or more years of experience working as a DevOps Engineer with AWS, GCP, or Azure.
- 2 or more years of experience with GoLang and Python to develop automated infrastructure solutions, i.e Terraform Custom Providers.
- 4 or more years of CICD experience and building and maintaining software delivery pipelines using tools such as GitLab.
- 2 or more years of experience with Hashicorp suite of tooling with a primary focus on Hands-on Terraform development to facilitate auto-provisioning infrastructure-as-code and Hands-on Packer development to facilitate auto-provisioning of machine images for various providers.
- 2 or more years of experience delivering Infrastructure solutions designs for execution team consumption.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
USAA has an effective method for assessing market data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the salary range based on your experience and market position. The salary range for this skill is: $117,600 – 211.700*.
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of Directors.
Geographical Differential: Geographic pay differential is additional pay provided to eligible employees working in locations where market pay levels are above the national average.
Shift premium: will be addressed on an individual-basis for applicable roles that are consistently scheduled for non-core hours.
At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education assists employees with their professional goals.
Please click on the link below for more details.
[ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Lead Infrastructure Engineer
Relocation assistance is Not Available for this position.
- Help Desk
- Windows Powershell
- Desktop Support
- Operating Systems