The Senior Defense Mechanical Engineer will design, evaluate, and implement future technologies in support of the development of future ground vehicles. The role handles projects independently and guides and mentors less experienced engineers within the team.
* Design and release systems working within an integrated project team led by an engineering lead or program manager.
* Plans, estimates, schedules, conducts, and coordinates the technical aspects of engineering projects.
* Lead engineering test scopes, planning, execution, and report writing (e.g. acceptance testing, performance testing, etc.)
* Present progress, challenges, and next steps to internal and external customers.
* Read, understand, and adhere to Military standards.
* Provide timely creation and review of engineering design, change, and release documents.
* Maintains the technical aspects of engineering projects within allocated budget and schedule limits.
* Oversee other engineers' technical deliverables to ensure they meet customer requirements and quality.
* Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
* Minimum of 5 years of engineering experience in the defense or automotive industry.
* Experience conducting presentations and management reviews.
* Experience with engineering design process.
* U.S. Citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident allowing for International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) compliance.
* Knowledge of ground vehicle systems such as structures, suspension (wheeled or tracked), lethality, survivability.
* Knowledge of DFMEAs (Design Failure Mode and Effect Analysis), DVPs (Design Verification Plan), DFM (Design for Manufacturing), FEA (Finite Element Analysis), OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) release systems and procedures, vehicle dynamic evaluations, 2D drawing development and GD&T (Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing) application and bolted and welded joint applications.
* Proficient in general computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to convey complex technical data verbally.
* Hands-on troubleshooting and problem-solving skills. Ability to provide robust solutions to complex problems in a timely and cost-effective manner.
* Able to obtain a security clearance.
* 7 years of experience in the defense industry.
* Experience with currently fielded ground vehicles.
* Automotive chassis engineering experience.
* Functional proficiency with CAD (Computer-Aided Design) software SolidWorks, Siemens NX UG (Unigraphics), CATIA, PROe (Pro/Engineer), CREO, or MATLAB.
* Knowledge of component, system, and vehicle testing, including subjective and objective evaluations.
Req ID JN -082022-118481
- Automotive Industry