Join ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
ABB (ABBN: SIX Swiss Ex) is a technology leader that is driving the digital transformation of industries.With a history of innovation spanning more than 130 years, ABB has four customer-focused, globally leading businesses:Electrification, Industrial Automation, Motion, and Robotics & Discrete Automation, supported by the ABB Ability™ digital platform.ABB’s Power Grids business will be divested to Hitachi in 2020.ABB operates in more than 100 countries with about 147,000 employees.www.abb.com
ABB is seeking a Service Technician lV. This role is responsible for servicing, troubleshooting, installing and maintaining UPS systems, batteries and other critical power equipment.This position also provides engineering and technical support to customers on operational and maintenance aspects.
Please note: The location for this opportunity is San Jose, California; Des Moines, Iowa; Seattle, Washington; Omaha, Nebraska and Houston, Texas. Your responsibilities
- Perform required semi-annual and annual preventative maintenance service to equipment under contract as scheduled.Perform initial starts-ups.
- Provide 24/7 on-call emergency services as required.Work with other team members to complete custom and large installation projects.
- Educate customers on basic operation of their equipment, informing them of issues they may experience and the necessary corrective actions.
- Establish, promote and maintain excellent rapport with all customers, coworkers, sales representatives and others.Maintain and safeguard company-issued tools and equipment.
- Troubleshoot critical power systems down to the root cause and perform repairs with minimum customer downtime or site operation disruption.
- Protect company proprietary information, manuals and records.Coordinate and manage all on-site subcontractors as necessary.
- Maintain personal vehicle in safe and operational condition and maintain vehicle insurance and a valid driver’s license at all times.
- Recognize sales opportunities for critical power equipment and other add-on products and link potential customers with the appropriate internal and external sales and technical resources.
- Complete paperwork in a timely and accurate manner including Field Service Reports, RMA’s, time cards and expense reports.Maintain technical documentation for study and/or review.
- Provide training and guidance to less experienced employees when necessary.Attend product specific training as necessary.
More about us
- An Associate’s degree in Electrical Engineering Technology or a highly related field with minimum of 2 years of experience servicing, troubleshooting, installing and maintaining critical power equipment.
- Preferred,Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering Technology or a highly related field with minimum of 2 years of experience servicing, troubleshooting, installing and maintaining critical power equipment.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience reading and deciphering electronic schematics and troubleshooting electronics to the component level.
- Factory training or the equivalent in repair and maintenance of multiple leading UPS brands.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to deal with customers where tact may be required to maintain continuing harmonious relationships.
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that allows them to work for ABB in United States.
Bring your very own sense of pride and purpose as you help us drive forward the Fourth Industrial Revolution – creating a sustainable future for our planet, and your career. Join ABB and harness the power of our diverse global network, as you collaborate with and learn from our world-class teams. Above all, challenge yourself every day. Let’s write the future, together.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to US-AskHR@abb.com. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.
Installations (Computer Systems)
Complex Problem Solving
Troubleshooting (Problem Solving)