Sr. Systems Engineer – Linux / Weblogic / Apache
Are you ready for a career where fun means business? Join us at Oriental Trading Company, a Berkshire Hathaway Company!
As our Senior Systems Engineer, you will be responsible for engineering and implementing complex systems, resolving escalated service issues, coaching other engineers to resolutions, and for maintaining and overseeing the health of assigned systems to ensure system availability and performance meet organizational requirements. This role is a key position within the Information Technology department and will be called upon to resolve the highest level technical issues.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
1. 1. Manages enterprise infrastructure, including hardware (physical & virtual), Red Hat Linux operating systems, middleware (Apache, Weblogic, Tomcat, etc.), business continuity and capacity planning
2. Provides recommendations for future architecture and design within area of responsibility
3. Serves as a technical lead on cross functional project teams
4. Provides technical guidance to other IT and business areas within the enterprise. being conversant and cognizant of the future direction of systems within area of responsibility and how they may be exploited for the benefit of the business
5. Works with management to develop infrastructure strategies to support business initiatives
6. Assists in identifying and recognizing potential areas where existing policies and procedures require change, or where new ones need to be developed
7. Manages and coordinates system changes within area of responsibility, including documentation and run books
8. Ensures system standards are documented, maintained and adhered
9. Ensures patching of systems within area of responsibility
10. Enhances the level of systems availability and reliability by identifying and remediating single points of failure
11. Creates efficiencies and supports OTC’s growth requirements through various initiatives including optimization, virtualization and cloud computing
12. Participates in scheduled on-call duties: Must be available 24 hours/day to receive calls, investigate and solve issues during on-call assignment
13. Work in the Information Technology Department office environment requires in-person collaboration among colleagues and contractors
14. Must be able to attend face to face meetings on short or little notice
Here is what you need to join the FUN...
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Self-starter with proven track record of delivering results
• Demonstrate effectiveness in complex problem-solving situations
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
• Possess excellent interpersonal communication skills and exceptional planning and organizational skills
• Ability to work independently, under pressure, meet deadlines and handle multiple projects simultaneously
• Ability to interface with vendors, customers, clients and other departments and respond to requests both in written and verbal form
• Ability to create logical and physical diagrams using MS Visio
• Proficient in the use of MS Word and Excel
• Foundational knowledge of WAN, LAN, routing and switching
• Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, closely related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Minimum of five years’ experience in a system engineering related role
• 5 or more years accumulated experience in one of the following technology areas:
Red Hat Linux
- In-Depth knowledge of Red Hat Linux (or similar) operating system
- In-Depth knowledge of Oracle Weblogic and/or Tomcat (or similar) middleware
- In-Depth knowledge of java application servers (Oracle JDK, Open JDK or similar)
- In-Depth knowledge of Apache http servers (or similar)
- In-depth knowledge of Linux operating system
- In-depth knowledge of Oracle Weblogic middleware
- In-depth knowledge of java application servers
- In-depth knowledge of http servers
- Working knowledge of backup and recovery processes
To apply in less than ten minutes click the “Apply” button or view a complete list of our current openings at http://www.myotccareer.com
To apply in less than ten minutes, log in to Ultipro.
• Click on the “Myself” tab
• Click on the “My Company” tab
• Click on “View Opportunities” from this section
ATTENTION: If you are creating a new profile, you must Save the profile information and then login with your new user when prompted to complete the application process.
All work and no play just isn’t our style. Join us today!
Oriental Trading Company, a Berkshire Hathaway Company (http://www.orientaltrading.com) is the nation’s leading direct marketer of value-priced novelties, toys and party supplies and welcomes talented, motivated people who want to build a meaningful career and Make The World More Fun!
Oriental Trading Company is the nation's largest direct retailer of value-priced party supplies, arts and crafts, school supplies, toys and novelties. Recognized as one of the Top 20 Internet Retailers based on customer satisfaction, Oriental Trading offers over 40,000 products to consumers, educators, businesses and non-profit organizations. Oriental Trading employs approximately 1,600 employees and makes the world more fun with items ranging from pink flamingos and wedding favors to holiday decorations, educational games and crafts. In 2013, Oriental Trading acquired MindWare, an award-winning creator and manufacturer of educational toys and in 2014, acquired SmileMakers, the leader in patient giveaways and practice promotion products. Oriental Trading is a Berkshire Hathaway company.