About Covanta: Covanta is a world leader in providing sustainable waste and energy solutions. Annually, Covanta’s modern Energy-from-Waste facilities safely convert approximately 20 million tons of waste from municipalities and businesses into clean, renewable electricity to power one million homes and recycle approximately 500,000 tons of metal. Through a vast network of treatment and recycling facilities, Covanta also provides comprehensive industrial material management services to companies seeking solutions to some of today’s most complex environmental challenges. For more information, visit URL blocked - click to apply .
Information on our facilities is available at URL blocked - click to apply . For career opportunities, visit URL blocked - click to apply . Covanta is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability EEO is the Law Poster (The poster can be found at http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf) Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
Covanta in St. Petersburg is seeking an experienced Control Room Operator to oversee control room operations that include three boilers and two turbine generators.
Control operations of our waste to energy plant systems included, but not limited to: refuse stokers, steam generation/boiler systems, condensate, feedwater, turbine/generator, circulating/cooling water systems, service/potable water, fuel handing, ash handling, electrical distribution, fire protection, and air pollution control systems.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Troubleshooting and resolving operational problems; taking proper action within prescribed normal and emergency operating procedures when needed as well as using proper judgment and procedures during a causality event for the safety of the facility and all personnel.
- Reading and interpreting DCS indications, meters, gauges, recorders, and annunciators to determine system operating conditions.
- Responsible for the administration of the Lock Out/Tag Out (LOTO) program from the Control Room; directing required switching, tagging, and locking operations on the facility systems and equipment as required and authorized by the Shift Supervisor.
- Directing Assistant Control Room Operator, Boiler Operator, Auxiliary Operator, Crane Operator, Back Plant Operator, and Equipment Operator on shift in job related duties pertaining to safety and continuous efficient boiler operation during shift.
- Maintaining boiler operation in compliance with all environmental permits.
- Determining whether operating conditions require removal of equipment from operating status during an emergency situation.
- Maintaining all assigned logs and records; responsible for recording data, reporting equipment malfunctions and trends.
- Maintain housekeeping of the control room.
- Performing actions as directed or without direction to correct abnormal operating conditions or emergency situations.
- Completing the required Covanta training for Control Room Operator within the assigned timelines.
- Training to be qualified as a Shift Supervisor.
- Perform other duties as directed by the Shift Supervisor.
Click here to learn more about our EfW process: URL blocked - click to apply
- A minimum of a High school diploma or general education degree (GED) is required.
- A minimum of an Associates Degree or equivalent in technical training is preferred.
- A minimum of three years’ Power Plant experience is required and in control room function.
- Thorough knowledge of Power Plant systems and equipment as well as demonstrated expertise performing all Control Room Operator duties is required.
- Knowledge in plant electrical distribution system, turbine generator operations, boiler operations, air pollution control equipment, continuous emission monitoring system (CEMS), and (municipal solid waste) MSW combustion is highly preferred.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as rules, technical procedures, operating and maintenance instructions, and other procedure manuals.
- Ability to speak and communicate effectively with supervisors and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret graph bars.
- Ability to direct the work of others.
- Ability to read and interpret piping and instrumentation diagrams (P&ID).
- Ability to interpret continuous emission monitoring system (CEMS) and COMS (continuous opacity monitoring system); real time and recorded data averages.
- Ability to stand in for the Shift Supervisor when needed.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Ability to take appropriate safe action on his/her own initiative to prevent equipment damage or injury to personnel during emergencies or unusual situations
- Ability to follow Covanta safety rules
- Ability to use computer / software system to complete online assigned training
- Ability to obtain ASME QRO Provisional Certification within 18 months of hire.
- Must be able to work a 12 hour rotating shift, which may include weekends, holidays and overtime.
- Frequently exposed to high temperatures and outside weather conditions.
- Working near moving machinery as well as noisy and dusty environments; must be able to wear required personal protective equipment (PPE) to include a negative pressure respirator in accordance with OSHA Regulation 29 CFR 1910.134.
- Climbing ladders and structures; must be able to tolerate heights.
- Frequently required to stand, sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and reach.
- Lifting up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision ability required by this job included close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Covanta offers competitive pay and benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Company Match Savings Plan, Vacation and Holiday pay.
Water Supply Networks