Provides designs, specifies information systems solutions and highly technical direction in the development of new or existing applications to solve basic to complex problems or enhancements. Serves as a principal application designer for major modifications effectively using analytical and technical skills, available technology and tools in the evaluation of client requirements and processes.
Serves as Subject Matter Expert (SME) for business systems-related enterprise-wide initiatives, complex discretionary projects, compliance/regulatory requirements and system changes due to contractual agreements or system maintenance, and as knowledge resource and mentor for less experienced staff. Provides solutions that are technologically sound. May complete day-to-day support activities and special projects.
Works with internal application owners in defining optimum technical approaches to achieve efficient and effective systemic solutions to their application needs and improve the Bank’s technology portfolio and software development. Maintains a current understanding of assigned applications, enhancements, business process flows and impacting regulatory/compliance matters to ensure future requirements are met through value-added consultation with other applications. Ensures technical solutions and designs comply with overall architectural strategy for the Bank. May represent the Bank at vendor executive Advisory Boards, user conferences and industry events. Directs and monitors activities of cross functional staff.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Complete and oversee basic to complex systems analysis, design and development efforts. Play a key role as a technical lead or individual contributor on complex projects. Maintain an excellent technical understanding of the supported application(s).
- Direct and monitor less experienced resources and coordinate development tasks for any scope project.
- Prepare and manage the technical component of project plans.
- Confer with other Development, operations and Technology staff in overall systems development direction from technical analysis to user acceptance testing.
- Prepare and review test data and execute detailed test plans. Complete any required debugging. Evaluate and understand complex interrelationships and effects among programs, interfacing applications and platforms. Provide highly analytical consulting and leadership in identifying and implementing new uses of information technologies to assist business units in meeting strategic objectives.
- Prepare thorough, clear technical and functional specifications and update systems documentation. Prepare charts, tables and diagrams to assist in analyzing problems. Review documentation prepared by less experienced staff.
- Prepare and review assessments to include required tasks, estimated time frames and effort for any scope project.
- Maintain efficient operation and effectiveness of supported applications.
- Recommend new technology, policies or processes to benefit the organization and improve deficiencies. Lead or participate in technical evaluations of vendor software.
- Follow and promote use of development standards and procedures.
- Recommend new technology and related policies or processes to enhance applications and ensure technical support provided clients is efficient and effective to meet internal and external customer needs. Provide technical feedback to internal application owners on current or proposed vendor software, including what the application does or the extent it supports predefined business needs.
- Complete status reports on system changes; present project, status or activity-related information to senior management to ensure their awareness of pertinent issues and that the technology portfolio is efficiently and effectively supporting applications that meet business needs of the Bank.
- Identify performance and effectiveness enhancement opportunities and recommend new policies and procedures that support improvement.
- Assist in developing expense and capital budgets.
- Monitor employee performance and may participate in annual appraisal and development plans.
- Understand and adhere to the Company’s risk and regulatory standards, policies and controls in accordance with the Company’s Risk Appetite. Identify risk-related issues needing escalation to management.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the M&T Bank brand.
- Maintain M&T internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators as applicable.
- Complete other related duties or projects as required, which may include playing a lead role in due diligence, cost/benefit analysis or business study activities.
The position works under supervision of Technology management. The jobholder is competent to work independently on all high level systems analysis and technical phases of development. The position is capable of managing the activities of others on any scope project and often leads project activities. The jobholder monitors staff performance on assigned projects related to their overall abilities and effectiveness in completing projects within schedules. The position participates in the development of less experienced staff. The position interacts with senior management, other technology personnel, clients and vendors. The jobholder provides backup to higher management as required and may be called on to serve as technical representative on committees, ad-hoc projects, etc. The position advocates new initiatives and demonstrates support of senior management decisions and direction.
Education and Experience Required:
Minimum of an Associate’s degree and 8 years’ systems analysis/application development experience, or in lieu of a degree, a combined minimum of 10 years’ higher education and/or work experience, including a minimum of 8 years’ systems analysis/application development experience
Familiar with application development software and hardware platforms
Proficiency with personal computers as well as pertinent project management, word processing and spreadsheet software
Capable of working on multiple projects of a complex nature
Excellent problem-solving skills to assist in issue resolution
Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with prior experience presenting to the target audience
Excellent organizational and time management skills
Strong lateral thinking skills
Experience on large system enhancements, conversions and production problem resolution
Complete understanding of the system development life cycle
Excellent analytical skills
Excellent decision-making skills
Strong project management skills
Experience encouraging teamwork and serving as role model when leading and directing others
Education and Experience Preferred:
Good understanding of the Bank’s application framework
Extensive application and product knowledge experience with skills, application(s) and functions of technology area led
Subject Matter Expert understanding of applications supported with an advanced knowledge of interfacing/integrated applications
Proven mentoring and leadership capabilities from a project management perspective
Experience with skills, application(s) and functions of technology area
Aware of the Bank’s business plan and strategic objectives with the ability to shape direction
Mastered knowledge and focus of the entire system and support projects outside of normal business-as-usual (BAU)
Able to motivate others
Ability to handle multiple tasks
Wilmington, Delaware, United States of America
- Acceptance Testing
- Attention To Detail
- Business Planning
- Business Processes