Primary functions of the Registered Nurse are to administer skilled nursing care for clients of all ages in their place of residence, coordinate care with the interdisciplinary team, patient/family and referring agency and assume the responsibility for coordination of care.
1. Assess home health and/or hospice patients in stable and emergent situations to identify the physical, psychosocial and environmental needs as evidenced by documentation, clinical record, case conference, team report and evaluations.
2. Implement, develop, document and evaluate the Plan of Care (POC) to ensure quality and continuity of care.
3. Obtain data on physical, psychological, social, spiritual and cultural factors that may influence patient/family health status and incorporate that data in to the Plan of Care (POC).
4. Assure continuity of quality patient care delivered with appropriate documentation. Maintain up-to-date patient records so that all visits, contacts, problems, plans, actions and goals are accurately and clearly stated and changes are reflected as they occur.
5. Provide care utilizing infection control measures that protect both the staff and the Patient (OSHA).
6. Educates patients and/or their families regarding care, diet, medications, home safety, etc. Uses teaching methods appropriate to the age, condition, culture and assessed learning-readiness of the patient and/or family members. Consistently teaches and promotes self-care practices.
7. Supervise and provide clinical directions to the HHA/STNA/LVN to ensure quality and continuity of service provided.
8. Assess and reassess pain. Utilize appropriate pain management techniques. Educate the patient and family regarding pain management.
9. Arranges referrals to appropriate agencies when need exists.
10. Monitor assigned cases to ensure compliance with requirements of third party payer.
11. Performs on-call responsibilities and provide on-call services to patients/families as assigned.
12. Provides effective communication and serves as a liaison to patients/family, team members, administration, physicians and other health care professionals.
13. Attends interdisciplinary team meetings and other meetings when necessary and appropriate.
14. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
1. Demonstrated ability to assess and respond to the needs of patients and families in varied settings.
2. Ability to communicate effectively with patients and their family members and at all levels of the organization.
3. Knowledge of medications and their correct administration.
4. Must have knowledge of venipuncture and IV care
5. Is competent in (1) stage (as appropriate), measure and treat surgical wounds and decubiti, (2) administer inhalation therapy, (3) perform phlebotomy for outpatient lab testing, and (4) develop and initiate bowel and/or bladder training programs for the home care and/or hospice patient, in addition to all routine medical/surgical nursing skills.
6. Is competent in (1) care and maintenance of indwelling catheters and drains, (2) safe use of all durable medical equipment routinely used in home setting, and (3) safe use of restraints in the home, under the orders of a physician
7. Ability to organize tasks, develop action plans, set priorities and function under stressful situations.
8. Maintains current licensure certifications and meets mandatory continuing education requirements.
9. Demonstrates commitment, professional growth and competency.
10. Ability to work flexible schedule and travel locally.
11. Ability to maintain confidentiality
12. Demonstrated ability to work independent and cooperatively as an effective team
Homecare Homebase Software Experience – Required
OASIS Experience – Required
Current state license as a Registered Nurse - Required
CHPN certification - Preferred
Proof of current CPR certification - Required
Current driver’s license - Required
Must have reliable transportation and insurance - Required
1-2 years experience as a Registered Nurse in a clinical care setting - Required
2+ years Home health experience – Required.
Graduate of an accredited Associate Degree in Nursing or Nursing Diploma program - Required
Bachelors of Science in Nursing - Preferred
Certifications & Licenses: