To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Birmingham, AL
- Orbital Engineering
- Phone: 000-000-0000
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
Email Send Failed!
Structural Field Engineer
Orbital Engineering, Inc • Birmingham, AL
Posted 2 months ago
Since 1969, Orbital Engineering, Inc. (Veteran Owned Business) has provided worldwide professional engineering and consulting services. Our commitment to quality, responsiveness, and attention to detail has earned us the reputation as a leading provider of engineering and design services. Over the years, we've broadened both our scope and client list and we've been consistently ranked among the Engineering News Record (ENR) Top 500 Design Firms.
With over 300 engineering and support staff throughout district offices in Pittsburgh (HQ), Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, and Houston, we are creative, client-driven, and collaborative. Currently, Orbital Engineering, Inc. is providing Engineering, Risk Mitigation, and Project Delivery Services for a variety of customers in the following industries:
* Chemical & Manufacturing
* Mining & Aggregate
* Steel, Tin, and other Metals
* Oil and Gas
Orbital Engineering, Inc. is seeking a Structural Field Engineer to work at one of our clients' facilities in Birmingham, AL. A successful candidate will perform a variety of tasks related to field inspections, project execution, project management, detailed engineering design, technical support, and customer relationship development. The gathering of field measurements, conducting inspections, writing reports, and otherwise observing existing conditions in a heavy industrial environment is a primary component of this position.
Candidates must be prepared to readily accept these requirements and will be properly trained to work in these environments.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Field engineering and structural inspections
* Document deficiencies via written field notes or tablet-based notes
* Take photos of the deficiencies
* Compile field notes and photos into a formal report using Orbital's internal database
* Detect possible defects and faults in structural systems and recommend or stipulate appropriate remedial measures for non-complex defects
* Develop and work with RBI or Mechanical Integrity Inspection programs
* Accurately read and comprehend structural drawings and plans
* Execution of drafting activities for assigned projects using AutoCAD, manipulating existing drawings and creating them from Orbital's standard guidelines
* Complete company developed training and safety web-based modules
* Assist in technical proposals and cost estimates for review by supervisor for job execution
* Rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals
* Learn job-related material primarily through in-person instruction and observation which takes place mainly in an on-the-job training setting
* Assist with engineering studies, calculations, detailed design documents and specifications, project cost estimates, and providing installation support services
* Complete all tasks in accordance with design and project execution procedures and guidelines as set forth in corporate the Quality Management System
* Verifying designs and drawings in-field as appropriate (i.e. checking dimensions and interferences)
* Interface directly with the client's representatives in person or over phone and email as necessary
* Maintain a safe work environment by adhering to all Orbital and Customer safety policies
* Developing additional business opportunities with current and new clients in a sales manner
* Travel domestically to customer sites for execution of projects
* Candidate must also be willing to travel domestically throughout the United States for 1 to 2-week trips at a time for a minimum of 25% of the year (travel/lodging costs are covered by the company with a daily per diem allowance as appropriate).
* Executing safe work while at heights utilizing a man basket, man lift, or other means with appropriate training
* Work as a Visual Observer for drone use and other forms of advanced inspection technologies through Orbital's affiliate company, Orbital Technical Solutions (OTS)
Education and Credentials:
* BS Civil/Structural Engineering
* Candidates with E.I.T. completion will be given priority
Minimum of 3 years' experience is required. Individuals with exposure to heavy industrial environments and marketplaces through co-ops or internships will be given preference. Strong communication and interpersonal skills are important. Candidates should have a thorough understanding and aptitude in the use of current computer software including general Office products, design and business enterprise software. Strong oral and written communication skills are required to comprehend assigned tasks. Reporting requires experience with Microsoft Word and Excel products and successful training in use of Orbital proprietary reporting software. Candidates must have a flexible schedule and quick response time in order to compensate for the customer's changing needs.
Potential certifications the candidate will be trained in (preference given to candidates with previous knowledge or experience):
* OSHA 10- or 30-Hour Certification
* TWIC Card
* MSHA Part 46/48 Certification
* Aerial/Scissor Lift Trained & Certification
* Confined Space Trained and Competent
* Fall Protection Competent or Qualified
* Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) experience (UTT, PT, MT, VT)
* FAA Part 107 Certification
Ability to read and interpret documents. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence in a professional and consistent manner. Effective written and oral communication and interpersonal skills required.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written or oral, diagram or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to manipulate, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or
hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk and must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Working at heights (aerial lifts, crane basket, or from scaffolding) or in tight, confined space type areas would be required to complete field inspection work. Use of negative pressure, air filtering/purifying respiratory protection may be required.
Orbital is a Drug Free workplace and is not tolerated. In addition to the physical demands stated above, the work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, extreme cold, and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
A commitment to excellence and hard work will be rewarded with a competitive salary, career advancement opportunities, and an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, prescription drug, 401(k), and supplemental insurance.
Orbital Engineering, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, EEO/AA/M-F-V-D. Orbital Engineering, Inc. seeks diversity among its employees.