To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- New York, NY
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
Email Send Failed!
Pre-Kindergarten Teacher, Harlem Gems
Harlem Children's Zone • New York, NY
Posted 1 month ago
We are seeking a Pre-Kindergarten Teacher. The ideal candidate will bring a passion for the mission and core values of HCZ Harlem Gems, an understanding and respect for the culture of all residents of Harlem, and a desire for working in a school setting that fosters a love for children.
Harlem Gems is the final step in our early childhood pipeline. A top-notch, year-round, full-day pre-kindergarten program, Gems works with 240 children across four sites to ensure that each and every one enters kindergarten school-ready. With five staff in each classroom, classes have a 4:1 child-to-adult ratio, allowing for more one-on-one work and ensuring that students receive the individualized attention they need. Gems staff also encourage strong family involvement, engaging parents and caregivers in classroom activities and creating consistency between home and school.
Early literacy skills are a primary focus of the Gems curriculum. Students are immersed in language—and not just English. They also learn basic vocabulary in French and Spanish, and get to know and explore the world around them through exposure to a range of disciplines—from math, science, and technology to social studies and the arts. They participate in fun fitness activities, playing sports such as golf and tennis, and even learn the basics of health and nutrition, including how to differentiate “go,” “slow,” and “whoa” foods to foster healthy eating habits. From recreation to reading, our goal is to turn our Gems into lifelong learners. And we reinforce the ultimate goal—college graduation—early and often. Each Gems classroom is named after a prestigious college or university, at once setting a high bar for the future and fostering a culture of academic excellence.
Harlem Gems has an immediate opening for a Pre – Kindergarten Teacher. The Pre – Kindergarten Teacher will incorporate direct instruction, discussion, projects and cooperative work to engage students, keep classes focused and infuse a lasting desire to learn.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide a variety of materials and resources for children to explore, manipulate and use, both in learning activities and in imaginative play
- Organize and lead activities designed to promote physical, mental and social development, such as games, arts and crafts, music, storytelling, and field trips
- Observe and evaluate children's performance, behavior, social development, and physical health
- Meet with parents and guardians to discuss their children's progress and needs, determine their priorities for their children, and suggest ways that they can promote learning and development
- Provide structure in the classroom by developing and clearly enforcing rules and expectations for class discussion and activities
- Follow the programs policies and procedures for student conduct and discipline
- Communicate effectively with students, parents and colleagues
- Participate effectively and collegiality in department meetings and parent meetings
- Provide a nurturing environment and model positive behavior for students
Qualification, Skills and Knowledge Requirements
- Master's degree required, preferably in Education
- Previous early childhood classroom experience, preferably in an urban setting
- Knowledge and understanding of curriculum
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Valid NYS Certification in either of the following:
Early Childhood Education (Birth – Grade 2)
Pre – Kindergarten, Kindergarten and (Grades K – 6)
Childhood Education (Grades 1 – 6)
We offer competitive salaries with performance-based bonuses, a comprehensive benefits package, and a low student-teacher ratio. To be considered, interested applicants must apply online or submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No telephone inquiries or recruiters please. Replies will only be sent to qualified applicants. HCZ is an EOE.