FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp.
As part of the Substation & Field Area Networks team, responsibilities include the architecture, engineering, design, implementation, operation, maintenance, regulatory compliance, and ongoing reliability of Supervisory Control & Data Acquisition (SCADA) communications, transmission substation networks (remote LANs), Field Area Networks supporting line switching & advanced Smart Grid functions, transmission system protection, and encryption technologies used to support those networks. Responsibilities also include NERC Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP) compliance of substation networks – including change control activities, configuration management, password changes, etc. – for IT devices supported at those sites.
- Delivers FE’s Telecom Transition for migration of substation and field area network communications, centered around Energizing the Future (EtF), Legacy Circuit Replacements (LCR), and related projects.
- Responsible for CIP compliance within the substation, as it pertains to communications requirements.
- Delivers high-performance, high-availability communications, in a 24/7 enterprise, monitored to achieve service expectations, scalable to business needs, and that have appropriate redundancies for diverse communications.
- Participates in substation and field area network projects to ensure computing and network architecture solutions are resilient, secure, well integrated, and comply with technical strategy.
- Supports the operational performance and maintenance of existing substation and field area networks as well as design and delivery of new products/product enhancements.
- Coordinates closely with FE Cyber Security, the Security Technologies, and Real Time Operations (RTO) teams to ensure that FE policies and sound security practices are followed.
- Coordinates with and receives support from the IT Networks group for transport and fiber services that are necessary to support the substation and field area networks.
- Coordinates with Operating Companies, FEU/FET support groups, and external entities to accomplish objectives.
- Ensures technical standards and regulatory requirements are followed in assigned work.
- Maintains scope, schedule, and budget for assigned projects.
- Maintains functional knowledge of technology, technology changes, and emerging business requirements.
- Providing daily support for the Substation & Field Area Networks team that supports the many technology platforms that deliver reliable, secure, and cost-effective communications solutions to those environments.
- Ensuring high level of reliability and availability of these systems. Manages the expectations of FE business units. Responsible along with others for disaster recovery of these systems.
- Understanding and following all applicable policies & procedures to effectively manage risk to FE’s Substation & Field Area Network environments.
- Support the 24x7 on-call rotation process by functioning as primary call contact and providing engineering second level backup to help troubleshoot and repair system/hardware failures or performance degradation.
- Bachelor or Associates Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Telecommunications or related field, or 5 years of equivalent work experience in a network engineering field.
- Knowledge of the OSI reference model, network routing and switching (Cisco, Nokia, RUGGEDCOM), network management applications (e.g. HPOM/NNMi/NA, Nokia 5620 SAM, GE Orbit Radio)
- Knowledge of radio systems / RF engineering (cellular, 700/900 MHz Radio, WiMax, point-to-point, point-to-multipoint)
- Core competencies include interpersonal, communications (written & verbal), presentation, and drafting/drawing (Visio/CAD) skills.
- Preferred knowledge includes:
- Understanding of encryption technologies and protocols (VPN/IPSec).
- Regulatory compliance requirements (NERC/FERC) impacting substation and field area networks.
- Project management concepts & tools, and environmental support systems for supported technology platforms (e.g., HVAC, AC/DC power systems, batteries, generators, etc.).
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team
Nearest Major Market: Akron
Nearest Secondary Market: Cleveland
RF Engineer, Compliance, Drafting, Network Engineer, Cyber Security, Engineering, Legal, Security
- Business Performance Management
- Business Requirements