Division: Seattle Main
Project Location(s): Seattle, WA 98134 USA
Minimum Years Experience: 6+ Travel Involved: 0-10% Job Type: RegularJob Classification: ExperiencedEducation:Bachelors DegreeJob Family:ConstructionCompensation:Salaried Exempt
Turner Construction is the nation's leading commercial construction general contractor with a 117 year history spanning iconic projects around the globe. For the past 40 years, Turner's Seattle office has helped shape our local skyline with projects such as Century Link Field, the Seattle Aquarium, and Two Union Square. Turner's commanding, diverse, and stable market presence allows us to offer each employee not only competitive compensation, but also an enriching career working on meaningful projects within our local community.
Turner's Seattle office has a number of large, exciting projects entering the preconstruction phase, and is excited to expand its preconstruction department. A Lead Estimator is a vital position of significant responsibility, leading preconstruction efforts for large, ground-up projects ranging from $150-500 million in revenue. A successful Lead Estimator combines industry experience with strong communication and leadership skills. This opportunity requires comparable experience with a competitor GC or trade partner. Please include a project list, including your specific responsibilities, with your application.
Description: Leads and manages the preparation of estimates and GMP's for assigned projects. Leads all estimating functions that may be required for assigned projects during preconstruction, including value engineering, alternative and comparative studies. Ensures that estimates and GMP's are complete, accurate, and well supported by recent pricing data and subcontractor input.
Reports to: Preconstruction Manager
Essential Duties & Responsibilities*:
* Primary or secondary point of contact for estimating services between owner, design team, and Turner for assigned projects during the preconstruction phase
* Manage design document receipt, filing, and distribution to internal team members
* Review design documents for level of completion, assemble comments and requests for additional information needed to provide complete estimates. Inform senior management of design-related problems, completeness of documents, and other potential risks.
* Coordinate with Procurement for subcontractors to be used for budget pricing on milestone estimates
* Manage distribution of design documents to subcontractors for budgeting, and ensuring sufficient subcontractor budgets are provided for all key trades
* Site visits to evaluate existing conditions and identify any scope that may not be included in the design documents
* Responsible for the set-up of the estimate, estimate schedule, and responsibility matrix, and coordinating work of estimating team members
* Perform quantity take-offs, analysis, estimate, and studies for all assigned trades and building systems
* Utilize Building Information Models (BIM) for quantity take-off and visualization where possible to support preparation of a complete estimate.
* Evaluate subcontractor pricing and/or bids for scope inclusion, and identify scope gaps and overlaps for coordination with other trades
* Ensure pricing within the estimate or GMP is complete and accurate, reflecting recent pricing data, subcontractor bids or subcontractor budgets
* Provide pricing for value engineering, alternates, options, and special studies as required
* Prepare bid proposal forms and bid recording sheets for assigned trades
* Prepare for and lead internal estimate review meetings
* Lead the coordination of operational input during the estimating, bidding, and GMP process. Work in collaboration with Operations to ensure that detailed General Conditions/Requirement (GC/GRs) study, as prepared by Operations, is incorporated into the estimate.
* Lead the assembly of all estimate or GMP documents being submitted to the Owner
* Lead all estimate and GMP review meetings with architects, engineers, and owners, with support from the Director of Preconstruction, Preconstruction Manager, and/or Project Executive
* Incorporate comments, feedback, and input from architects, engineers, and owners into revised estimates or GMP's, assemble revised documents for final submission
* Take lead role or support role in Lump Sum (LS) bids.
* Manage Estimators, Assistant Estimators, and Estimator Apprentices, including completing performance evaluations for those staff assigned to the Lead Estimator.
* Ensure strict adherence to safety, Quality Assurance/Quality Control (QA/QC), ethics and compliance requirements at all times.
Qualifications: Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Construction Management, Building Construction or similar, plus three or more years as an estimator and six or more total years (estimating, project engineering, field supervision or purchasing). Knowledge of building construction, materials, systems, market conditions, trade practices. Must have conceptual ability to work with minimum information and quickly develop an understanding of the owner/architect requirements. Should demonstrate imaginative, innovative and succinct approach to a project. Should have familiarity with the operating procedures and methods of other departments - Procurement, Cost, Accounting, etc. Good leadership, verbal and written skills. Strong computer skills and a familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite of programs and Turner's estimating software. Complete knowledge of the estimating documents and the ability to provide accurate qualitative and quantitative analysis of the documents. Must be able to multitask and meet established deadlines.
* Communicate and collaborate with Operations, Procurement and all other internal Turner resources as needed, during preconstruction efforts.
* Support the development and enhancement of owner, architect, subcontractor and vendor relations.
* Analyze cost data, unit prices, general conditions and general requirements costs, and information that can be developed and used as a "rule of thumb" for all building systems estimated costs.
* Ensure assigned tasks are completed and delivered within timeframes allotted.
* Support the Operations Lead to prepare, schedule, evaluate, execute and manage the Launch Matrix and Launch Matrix Meetings for each estimate milestone.
* May coordinate with Lean Manager to develop and execute Pull Plans for design, estimate and GMP schedules.
* Establish and manage the Target Value Design process as appropriate for select projects.
* Generate, coordinate and manage Budget Control Reports between each milestone estimate to manage cost events and value engineering opportunities. Produce variance reports for each milestone estimate to communicate scope development.
* Engage the Safety Director and Operations Lead for General Requirement estimate reviews to ensure Building LIFE provisions are incorporated into the estimate.
* Prepare, coordinate, execute and manage Constructability Reviews and produce and manage Constructability Review Reports for milestone estimates per the Launch Matrix.
Physical Demands: Performance of the required duties will require physical ability to climb permanent and temporary stairs, passenger use of construction personnel hoists, ability to climb ladders and negotiate work areas under construction. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Performing this job requires use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, sit, talk and hear, stand, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works on-site at the construction work site where the employee is exposed to moving mechanical parts; high precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions and risk of electrical shock. The noise in these work environments is usually moderate to very loud.
* May perform other duties as assigned. Where applicable, all activities will include disabled and veterans' organizations.
Turner is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Turner is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer - minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
- Assembly And Installation
- Construction Management