**When you join the growing BILH team, you're not just taking a job, you're making a difference in people's lives.**
Day (United States of America)
Under the direction of the Trauma Service Director and the Trauma Program Coordinator, will be responsible for prioritizing, coordinating, abstracting, coding, and entry of data for the Trauma Registry (Lancet, Trauma One), both retrospectively and concurrently. The Trauma Registrar is responsible for the collection, completion, and verification of the accuracy of all patient data collected from Lahey Hospital& Medical Center trauma patient record. This position is crucial to the implementation of quality assurance and improvement issues by servicing as the foundation of the Trauma Program. The Registrar creates and maintains clinical and statistical data, AIS coding, ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM codes, and abstracts various data elements as required by the American College of Surgeons, the National Trauma Data Bank, and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts State Trauma Registry. The Trauma Registrar will assist the Trauma Program Coordinator and Injury Prevention Coordinator in generating data and statistics from the trauma registry to base injury prevention and community education for trauma.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
1. Assists the Trauma Program Coordinator (TPC) in identifying patients for inclusion in the trauma registry. Runs daily admission list and Emergency Department Log and using clinical knowledge base, identifies trauma patient admissions, trauma patient transfers and deaths.
2. Reviews medical documents and electronic sources including radiology, laboratory and electronic medical records to update, identify, and provide missing data elements as the information becomes available.
3. Maintains concurrent data on all trauma patients and accurately enters demographic, injury, and clinical data elements into the Trauma Registry.
4. Retrieves patient and treatment information from the registry for administrative purposes, performance improvement and data analysis.
5. Prepares, as directed, performance improvement reports for the Trauma Service, JCAHO, American College of Surgeons (ACS), and the state and national registries (NTDB). Participates in the ACS verification visit as an integral part of the Trauma Service.
6. Modifies data entry screens as data collection needs change. Works with Trauma One vendor for upgrades to registry as needed
7. Upgrades Trauma One software as new versions become available. Responsible for trouble-shooting Trauma One software/hardware and working with appropriate technical support for resolution
8. Prepares and maintains a daily trauma service activity log for the Trauma Program Coordinator
9. Organizes and maintains an efficient filing system for all original data forms and maintains overall responsibility for accuracy and confidentiality of data.
10. Downloads data from Trauma One to other software such as Excel analysis and presentation.
11. Communicates directly with outside agencies to coordinate data needs in relation to specific information pertinent to trauma patients included in the registry. Agencies include prehospital providers, Lancet Technology, ACS, and other Level I and Level II Trauma Centers.
12. Works independently on abstracting and organizing data for identified projects. Requires rounding on inpatient units to retrieve patient data concurrently
13. Performs other duties as assigned, or directed, to ensure efficient operation and continuing improvement of the Trauma Service.
14. Maintains continual process of readiness for reverification process by the American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma
15. Participates in frequent trauma registry data validation with Trauma Program Coordinator
16. Prepares reports for committee meetings, PIPS, research, business/strategic planning as needed.
17. Attends committee meetings as needed.
18. Interacts with physicians, nurses, and other members of the trauma team and trauma patients to perform trauma registry functions.
19. Will keep trauma data base current within 45 days of patient discharge
20. Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
21. Prepares monthly dashboard reports for Trauma Multidisciplinary Committee Meeting
22. Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
23. Maintain strict adherence to the Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Confidentiality policy.
24. Incorporate Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Standards of Behavior and Guiding Principles into daily activities.
25. Comply with all Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Policies.
26. Comply with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Hospital and Medical Center.
27. Maintain courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
28. Demonstrate an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
29. Demonstrate a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
30. Participate in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
31. Participate in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
Education: Associate degree or equivalent education and experience.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: Must prepare to sit for Trauma Program Registrar Certification Course within 2 years of hire. Must successfully complete or have previously completed the following 2 courses within 12 months of hire
• The American Trauma Society's Trauma Registry Course of equivalent provided by a state trauma program
• The Association of the Advancement of Automotive Medicine's Injury Scaling Course
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
• Excellent verbal and computer skills required
• Proficient in Microsoft Word, Power Point
• Expert in Microsoft Excel
• Ability to multitask with prioritizing and meeting deadlines
• Knowledge of how errors impact users; database; and application.
• Ability to utilize critical thinking skills to prioritize and problem-solve complex work assignments.
• Knowledge and proficiency in medical terminology and anatomy required
• Experience with IC9-CM ICD-10-CM inpatient coding required.
• Minimum of 2 years' experience in an administrative role that requires knowledge of ICD9/ICD10 coding.
Trauma Registrar - Job_Description_Under_Construction
**As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. Beth Israel Lahey Health requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more ([ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Trauma Registrar
about this requirement.**
**More than 35,000 people working together. Nurses, doctors, technicians, therapists, researchers, teachers and more, making a difference in patients' lives. Your skill and compassion can make us even stronger.**
**Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled**
- Automotive Industry
- Clinical Works