Join Jacobs to support NASA with their exciting missions!
Jacobs is a prime government contractor providing facilities support services for NASA Ames Research Center. Ames is one of ten NASA field centers, located in the heart of California's Silicon Valley. For 80 years, Ames has led NASA in conducting world-class research and development in aeronautics, exploration technology, and science. Our support to Ames includes facilities maintenance, operations, maintenance engineering, and environmental and emergency services.
We are looking for a High Voltage Electrician to join our team and support our efforts with the installation, maintenance, and repairs of medium-voltage and high-voltage electric utility systems and equipment. This is a full-time position, with several benefits including job stability, 401(k), Pension, Health, Dental, Vision, Short and Long Term Disability, Paid Holidays, Vacation, and PTO.
- Providing effective and timely customer service to clients and team members.
- Performing journey level electrical work and locating and diagnosing trouble in electrical systems or components.
- Installing, maintaining, and repairing any of a variety of electrical equipment such as generators, transformers, switchboards, controllers, circuit breakers, motors, heating units, conduit systems, or other transmission equipment.
- Working standard computations relating to load requirements of wiring or electrical equipment, and using a variety of electricians hand tools and training and measuring and testing instruments
- Switching sequencing and power outage coordination involving different kinds of switch gear, breakers, and circuits such as High Voltage controls, Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs), contacts, wiring, ladder logic diagrams, governors and governor controls, and High voltage system relays, up to 115kV voltage levels.
- Prepare and deliver job service reports, deficiency reports, and properly complete work orders.
Here is what youll need:
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent. Completion of apprenticeship program in the electrician trade or equivalent experience.
- Basic journey level skills, knowledge and abilities in the electrician trade including proficiency in the use of all tools of the trade.
- Ability to diagnose electrical and mechanical troubles and then make repairs on equipment.
- Must be able to read/understand technical diagrams and drawings and be knowledgeable about the local codes and regulations, as well as National Electrical Code requirements.
- Understanding of, and willingness to comply with, electrical and work safety procedures including National Electrical Code & CAL-OSHA Standards.
- Ability to complete standard computations relating to load requirements of wiring or electrical equipment.
- Must be able to enter confined spaces, be physically capable of bending for long periods of time, climbing ladders, work in confined spaces, lift 40 lbs.
- Must possess a valid California driver's license, a good driving record and the ability to operate automatic transmission vehicles.
Ideally, youll also have:
- Customer service and communication skills necessary to interact effectively in writing and verbally with teammates and customers.
- Strong work ethic, with an ability to work effectively both independently and as a team member.
- Basic knowledge of computer software to attend virtual meetings, send and receive emails, prepare work logs and labor entries, and perform online trainings.
- Ability to work scheduled, on-call, and emergency overtime.
Unusual or Special Physical Requirements of Position (specify and provide % of time required)
- Lifting: 20%
- Climbing: 10%
- FR Uniforms, Safety Boots, and PPE: 100%
- Unusual physical requirements, such as confined space entry: 10%
- High noise levels in mechanical rooms: 10%
Description of Work Environment (specify and provide % of time required)
- Outside Work: 70%
- Inside Work: 30%
- Hazards associated with electrical work: 40%
- Operation of Vehicle: 30%
Equipment and Machines Involved in Work Tasks (specify and provide % of time required)
- Computer Use: 20%
- Lifts and operation of heavy equipment: 5%
- Tools used in trade: 40%
Criticality of Attendance (specify and provide % of time required)
- Regular Shift: 100%
- Overtime Hours: 10%
- Necessity for regular attendance: 100%
- Urgency for punctuality: 100%
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, medical condition, marital or domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression and transgender status, mental disability or physical disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, citizenship, low-income status or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws and supplemental language.
National Electrical Codes