Job ID: 161238
Pike Industries, Inc., a subsidiary and integral part of Oldcastle, is a leading Highway Contractor and the largest producer of Hot Mix Asphalt and Construction Aggregates in New England. Pike has experienced continual growth over the years and currently employs nearly 1,000 people throughout NH, ME and VT. The dedication, knowledge, and quality workmanship of our employees is what makes the company such a great success. If you’re looking for a challenging career at a company that will reward your efforts, look no further. Take the first step and apply for an exciting opportunity to gain top notch industry experience and pave the road to your success. All Roads Lead Here!
Intern - Construction/Road - Statewide Maine:
Pike is hiring college students to work as interns within the Construction division for the summer. Through an organized and structured process the selected interns will be exposed to and trained on many aspects of our business operations. The summer will be broken into segments of 3-4 weeks each where the intern will be paired with an experienced employee to learn about each of the following areas; paving installation, construction, and quality control.
• Paving installation – work with a paving crew to learn an overview of the process to install asphalt. During the time with a paving crew the intern will learn about the safety hazards and how to conduct risk assessments to ensure a safe working environment. The intern will also learn about the different types of paving projects, the process of project layout and preparation, the importance of customer service, the process of estimating a project, and the different roles and responsibilities of the members of the paving crew.
• Construction – work with a construction crew to learn how a project is set up and executed. During this phase the intern will learn about the requirements necessary to ensure a safe operation, learn the process of coordinating all the subcontractors, employees, and equipment on a project, and will learn the different roles and responsibilities of the members of the crew. The intern will also spend some time with the Contract Administrator to understand the billing/payment process and with an Estimator to understand how the jobs are bid.
During all phases the intern may assist with duties such as; manual labor, use of hand tools, directing and guiding traffic through construction sites, and possibly operating equipment.
- The selected candidate must be enrolled (planning to enroll) in a college degree program for the 2017-2018 school year.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, high stress environment
- Ability to work both independently and in a team setting
- Ability to write reports and analyze raw data
- Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation to commute to and from their work location, as well as between facilities and job sites when necessary.
What Oldcastle Offers You
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
Oldcastle has a long and proud heritage as one of North America’s largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the Oldcastle family. Oldcastle operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
Oldcastle is a great place to grow! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Please complete your online application and profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Thank you for your interest in the Oldcastle family!
Follow Oldcastle Careers on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, Pinterest, WordPress (Career Blog) and LinkedIn!
Pike Industries, Inc. is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.
Pike Industries, Inc. is part of the Oldcastlecareers™ network.