Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Orlando, FL Surveying Group
as a Survey Crew Chief.
Under direct supervision, operates the more complex technical survey instruments to obtain data pertaining to area measurements for use in boundary, topographic, hydrographic, land development and construction surveys. May also assist the supervisor in the direction of other crew members. JOB DUTIES
- Operates the more complex surveying instruments and performs survey calculations related to the operation of those instruments.
- Sets up and has the ability to operate all instrumentation typical on a field data collection crew to include electronic total stations, electronic levels, GPS, HDS, and other equipment as needed.
- Maintains thorough familiarity with the operating procedures of field data collection equipment and procedures.
- Compiles field notes, sketches and records of data obtained and work performed.
- Exercises supervision over other crew members in connection with the field work and the maintenance and safekeeping of field equipment and survey vehicles, in the absence or at the request of the supervisor.
- Assumes responsibility for the maintenance, checking and handling of surveying instruments.
- Ensures that: (1) an adequate reserve supply of consumable material such as stakes, hubs, iron rods, nails, paint and flagging is maintained in the supply storage areas at the office; (2) survey vehicles contain adequate supply of equipment and materials for the day's operation; and (3) the survey vehicles, parking area and equipment and supply storage areas at the office are kept in a neat and orderly fashion.
- Sets up and operates Global Positioning System (GPS) equipment.
- Performs such other duties as the Supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
Global Positioning Systems