Galois tackles the hardest problems in computer science. Our mission is to assure trust in critical systems that protect the privacy and integrity of information in the real world. Core to this is the application of formal analysis techniques that allow systems to be modeled, analyzed, and mathematically proven correct to ensure that a system behaves exactly as we intend under all circumstances.
We are a community of researchers, engineers, and operations people who are dedicated to creating trustworthiness in critical systems in every functional area of the organization. Our organization is highly collaborative, and we pursue working from first principles, transparency, building deep trust, learning and innovating, and creating space for you to be authentically you. Our unique organizational structure enables us to adapt to the needs of the innovative projects we deliver.
We are employee-owned and aspire to provide employees with a sense of freedom to pursue passions in and out of work — whether it be opportunities to learn, career growth, a sense of community, or whatever else brings you value as a person.
For more on our organizational structure, visit Life at Galois.About This Role:
Galois is looking for a passionate individual with experience in engineering leadership roles and a strong technical background to join our expanding team. Our ideal candidate embodies a servant-leader approach, excels at leading engineering teams and projects to success, and leans into technology.
The Engineering Project Lead is an essential role at Galois. Ideal candidates will have a keen interest in trends in engineering and leadership, and a high level of emotional intelligence. They play an active role in influencing the culture of their local office and supporting the broader organization.
The Engineering Project Lead is responsible for all
aspects of their project’s success, including delivering client value, building teams, planning, and tracking, guiding work execution, full project budgeting, and overall team health. They have freedom of choice, working with their team to find the best practices for the project, team, and client’s needs. Projects at Galois are most commonly led in a partnership between them and a Principal Investigator, who leads the research agenda and sets the technical direction for the project.
If you think this role fits what you seek, watch a video on engineering leadership at Galois, and learn more about our culture through life at Galois. And for more context on engineering leadership at Galois, see this blog post.Responsibilities:
In this role, you’ll be accountable for all aspects of team leadership and project execution, including:
- Ensuring the team is producing world-class results that delight the client, on time and on budget
- Ensuring Engineers can see how their individual contribution is part of a greater whole
- Providing Engineers opportunities for professional growth
- Planning all aspects of projects and coordinating all project activities
- Helping Engineers find satisfying work (even if that means work on a different project) through coaching efforts
- Communicating project status, issues, and results to the client and as an internal advocate: via presentations, written reports, and conversations
- Collaborating with other project leads to address company-wide concerns
At a minimum, successful candidates have:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, or equivalent
- Demonstrated experience in servant leadership positions, fostering collaboration and building vibrant and cohesive teams
- Extensive experience engaging and leading technical teams
- Extensive experience leading software engineering or research projects
- Demonstrated success with strategic technical planning
- Curiosity and willingness to learn new technologies and technical domains
- Extensive experience leading or working in technical areas such as: functional programming, formal verification, secure computation, and overall computer science areas of research and development
- History of roles with fiscal responsibilities
We enjoy a hybrid work environment, and being co-located with one of our offices is preferred - locations in Arlington, VA, Dayton, OH, and Portland, OR. Potential for remote work is possible.Benefits:
We offer a robust benefits package to provide for your and your family’s well-being, including:
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- 401(k) retirement plan with 5% employer match and immediate vesting
- Fully paid medical insurance plans and dental and vision reimbursement plan
- Health Savings Account (HSA) with generous employer contributions
- Mental health and wellbeing support through our employee assistance program
- 5 weeks of paid time off and 9 days of paid company holidays each year
- 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave (available for new parents for birth, adoption, and fostering)
- 1 week of fully paid “Blue Sky” innovation time each year to pursue your interests
For more information on our benefits, visit Careers at Galois.Compensation:
Compensation is based on the value of your results, not your value as an employee or person. The compensation process, individual salaries, and criteria for salary changes are transparent to the entire company.
For more information about our forward-looking and transparent approach to pay, visit Compensation.Equal Employment Opportunity:
Galois is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices based on race, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital or parental status, pregnancy or childbirth, disability, age, religion, creed, genetic information, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. We encourage and respect different viewpoints and experiences as being essential to the process of innovation. We strive to acquire, grow, and maintain a diverse and inclusive workplace that applies principles and standards equitably while supporting the needs and accommodations of the individual employee.
Consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and federal and state laws, it is the policy of Galois, Inc. to provide reasonable accommodation when requested by a qualified applicant or employee with a disability, unless such accommodation would cause an undue hardship. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing the employment application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact [ Email address blocked ] - Click here to apply to Engineering Project Lead (Portland, OR, Arlington, VA, Minneapolis, MN, Remote)
- Coaching And Mentoring
- Financial Management
- Formal Verification
- Functional Programming