Requisition ID: 156959
Job Level: Internship
Home District/Group: Kiewit Power Engineering
Department: Design Engineering
Employment Type: Full Time Temporary
We are looking to hire students pursuing a degree in Civil Engineering for our Transmission Line Engineer internship! These interns will assist with performing engineering and design duties, which require the application of engineering principles and knowledge of engineering design.
As part of this team of highly specialized design professionals, you will support a variety of substation, transmission and distribution projects ranging from 12kV to 500kV in both engineering detailed design and Engineer, Procure, Construct (EPC) projects for clients throughout the country.
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service consulting and engineering firm serving the infrastructure and engineering markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Backed by 130 years of construction experience, our construction-driven engineering focuses on constructability and safety in the earliest phases of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
Our rapidly growing Power district, which includes structural, civil, piping, mechanical, process, process safety, electrical, instrument and control disciplines, is a multi-faceted division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on the EPC delivery model for power facilities. We offer a variety of engineering services, including owner's engineering, project development, detailed engineering and design, construction management and plant services. Our engineering teams bring power projects to life across North America in the following areas:
- Gas-fired generation
- Power delivery
- Environmental retrofits
- Renewables and new technology
This position is based out of Portland, OR.
• Work with project team to create all design documents and drawings for a project, including generating transmission line design criteria for PLS-CADD, generating bills of materials, and applying field mark-ups of project as-built drawings with minimal supervision
• Assist with the usage of engineering application software to complete engineering tasks such as building, modifying and analyzing transmission line, pole and tower models within PLS-CADD, PLS-POLE and PLS TOWER.
• Assist with developing construction assembly drawings, material specifications, and structure loading packages for submittal to vendors
• Review project schedules and work with project engineer to ensure projects remain on schedule
• Properly use the document management system
• Apply corporate standard engineering practices
• Assist with project activities
• Assist with the with the communication and coordination of project activities with project engineer, customer representatives, and others as needed
• Take personal responsibility for the quality and accuracy of his/her work
• Bring potential project-related problems and possible solutions to the attention of the responsible party
• Pursuing a Bachelor degree in Civil Engineering or a related field from an accredited university
• 3.0 cumulative GPA preferred
• Basic knowledge and understanding of:
- AC/DC fundamentals
- per-unit mathematics and symmetrical components
- design documents and drawings necessary to complete a project
- engineering standards including NEC, NESC, NEMA, IEEE and ANSI
- common Word processing, Spreadsheet, and E-mail software
• Working in a team environment
• Communicating effectively with co-workers, vendors, clients, etc.
• Regular, reliable attendance
• Work productively and meet deadlines timely
• Communicate and interact effectively and professionally with supervisors, employees, and others individually or in a team environment.
• Perform work safely and effectively. Understand and follow oral and written instructions, including warning signs, equipment use, and other policies.
• Work during normal operating hours to organize and complete work within given deadlines. Work overtime and weekends as required.
We offer our fulltime staff employees a comprehensive benefits package that’s among the best in our industry, including top-tier medical, dental and vision plans covering eligible employees and dependents, voluntary wellness and employee assistance programs, life insurance, disability, retirement plans with matching, and generous paid time off.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
- Document Management Systems
- Electrical Substation
- Engineering Design Process
- Freight Forwarding