To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- McLean, VA
- Phone: 000-000-0000
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Director, Communications & Media Relations
TEGNA • McLean, VA
Posted 15 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
TEGNA is looking for an experienced Director, Communications & Media Relations to join its Corporate Communications team. This candidate is a proactive leader with a proven ability to provide strategic input to an organization's communications strategy and goals. The candidate will anticipate what is needed and take the initiative to develop and manage plans and activities to communicate TEGNA's purpose, vision and strategy to key audiences, including media, investors, partners and current and prospective employees. The ideal candidate is an excellent storyteller with outstanding writing skills and is responsible for developing materials including executive remarks and scripts, press releases, talking points, briefing documents, Q&As and annual company reports. The candidate develops and maintains key relationships with the media and has extensive experience managing press interactions. This is a key role that develops plans, messaging, and stories and conducts proactive media outreach to help build our company's reputation and brand and maintain trust with our audiences.
NOTE: Strong writing skills are required for this position. Those who write quickly, creatively, and independently are strongly encouraged to apply. In order to be considered, three writing samples are to be submitted with your resume and cover letter (attach samples to cover letter).
- Develops communications initiatives to share the company's vision and business strategy to key audiences
- Develops executive remarks, press releases, talking points, briefing documents, Q&As, annual company reports, and other materials as needed for key company news
- Partners with the Chief Communications Officer to develop the company's annual report, corporate responsibility report and other reports and materials
- Develops and implements strategies to communicate TEGNA's content transformation, news innovation and journalism, original programming, digital initiatives and marketing solutions; supports corporate announcements including deals, investments, Board directors and dividend releases
- Conducts proactive media outreach and develops and maintains key relationships with business, media, trade, advertising and financial reporters; proactively builds relationships with press covering television, entertainment and digital media
- Creates clear, concise and consistent messaging and positioning for the company via strategic communications advice and counsel to internal audiences
- Raises the profile of key executives by driving thought leadership content, press interviews, speaking opportunities, and other activities
- Oversees development of event presentations (i.e. Shareholders Meeting, TEGNA Town Halls, Employee Awards, and investor/analyst meetings), corporate videos and other visual communications materials; includes developing, gathering, designing, and developing editorial content and video
- Evaluates, manages, and hires audiovisual freelance staff for large scale events
- Provides direction and oversight to corporate social media channels
- Provides guidance and direction to any outside PR agencies and department staff members
- Negotiates and manages outside vendor contracts for vendors and professional services
- Works with Chief Communications Officer to define metrics that will enable accurate measurement of the effectiveness of all communications campaigns
- 10+ years' experience in corporate communications, public affairs or media relations; a significant amount of this experience should include work at a publicly traded company with experience in investor communications preferred
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in communications, marketing, journalism, public relations, or similar field
- Excellent writing skills with proven experience writing for senior executives; grammar guru and strong proofreader with an excellent attention to detail
- Must have established relationships with key financial, media and advertising reporters
- Experience in effectively managing issues and crises; availability to work after hours or on the weekend, as needed
- Superior project manager who takes the initiative and manages projects independently; must be extremely organized, detail-oriented with an ability to develop solutions and handle many tasks in a deadline-driven environment
- Experience in effectively navigating complex organizations, working with senior executives, and developing strategies to communicate an organization's vision and business strategy
- Strong interpersonal skills with success working with reporters, executives and PR agencies/vendors; ability to partner and work cross-functionally
- Ability to effectively communicate recommendations across all levels of management within the company
- High level of integrity, confidentiality and professionalism
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. With 49 television stations and two radio stations in 41 markets, TEGNA delivers relevant content and information to consumers across platforms. It is the largest owner of top 4 affiliates in the top 25 markets, reaching approximately one-third of all television households nationwide. Each month, TEGNA reaches 50 million adults on-air and approximately 30 million across its digital platforms. TEGNA has been consistently honored with the industry's top awards, including Edward R. Murrow, George Polk, Alfred I. DuPont and Emmy Awards. TEGNA also delivers innovative and unparalleled solutions for advertisers through TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS). TMS is a one-stop shop that helps businesses thrive through an unmatched suite of services and solutions that reach consumers across television, email, social and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA's OTT advertising service. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. For more information, visit www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information.