Where compassion meets innovation and technology and our employees are family.
Thank you for your interest in joining our team! Please review the job information below.
Experience working with respiratory, endocrine, and diabetes patients preferred.
GENERAL PURPOSE OF JOB:
The staff nurse (RN) is a professional Registered Nurse who provides direct nursing care to assigned patient population. The staff nurse, utilizing the nursing process, plans and delivers effective patient care within the Texas scope of practice and within the frame work of Driscoll Health System's vision of excellence and integrated care delivery. The staff nurse complies within the established standards of practice, policies and clinical guidelines reflective of evidence-based best practice. The practice of the staff nurse contributes to creating an environment that is patient focused, family centered and is designed to provide continuation of care and patient transition management.
COMMUNICATION — Conveys information and shares ideas using the appropriate techniques to reach different audiences; promotes understanding and open information sharing. Listens actively; solicits and gives constructive and honest feedback. Is sensitive to the needs, ideas, and feelings of others. Develops and maintains rapport with others.
- Establishes and maintains a therapeutic relationship with patient and family using individualized interventions to ensure patient comfort and dignity.
- Identifies barriers to learning, develops and implements plan based on assessed patient/family needs.
- Uses clear, closed loop communication that enhances team information sharing and decision making.
- Uses chain of command to obtain appropriate health care response as an advocate for -the patient.
- Functions as a patient/family advocate, seeking direction as needed to provide safe, effective, efficient, and timely care.
- Initiates appropriate referrals to the healthcare team based on assessed patient needs.
- Documents timely and accurately in the electronic medical record to reflect patients' plan of care and response to interventions.
CUSTOMER/PATIENT FOCUS—Understands and anticipates the needs of both internal and external customers.
Meets customer needs while remaining a good steward of organizational resources. Performs initial and ongoing focused assessments to identify actual, potential and critical changes in the patient's condition and follows through with appropriate reporting and actions.
Develops, implements, and modifies an individualized plan of care that reflects cultural aspects as appropriate of illness/hospitalization to meet patient needs and diagnoses. Prioritizes, plans, organizes and directs care of assigned patients.
- Involves the patient and family in healthcare decisions and care as appropriate.
- Evaluates and reports pertinent patient response to interventions based on evidence-based best practice. Administers medications and other therapeutic treatments per clinical guidelines and orders; recognizes abnormal responses to medication therapy and initiates corrective therapy.
- Intervenes appropriately after correlating clinical picture to therapeutic treatment plane
Selects and utilizes appropriate equipment, devices, and supplies based on the patient' s needs and treatment plan.
Ensures the correct functioning of equipment, identifies deficits and reports appropriately. Participates in clinical research by following specific protocols.
TEAMWORK— Fully participates in maintaining a positive team environment that is conducive to customer satisfaction. Builds trust among co-workers, focusing on accomplishing hospital and departmental goals. Works effectively with a diverse group of people in pursuit of the organization's goals. Shifts personal goals when necessary to focus on group objectives. Looks for ways to help others and to support their work. Initiates warm transfer techniques to refer customer service concerns to the right individual; does not display "it's not my job" attitude. Values others' contributions, and shows respect for all individuals throughout the organization. Can be counted on by others.
- Demonstrates flexibility in staffing and scheduling to meet unit needs.
- Supports real time staffing decisions and assignments for the greater good.
- Supports goals through participation and compliance in unit activities and decision-making.
- Participates in improving patient care by engaging in reviewing and supporting practice change based on evidence-based practice.
- Maintains and respects relationships, and builds rapport with peers and leadership.
ACCOUNTABILITY— Takes responsibility and ownership for delivering results through personal initiative and commitment. Willing to make recommendations and assume additional responsibilities. Organizes work and uses time efficiently. Takes the initiative to find additional work during slow or downtimes. Recommends innovative ways of doing work more efficiently and effectively.
- Complies with and supports regulatory and organizational policies and professional standards. Completes required ongoing development and education/competency/certifications as required. Recognizes personal limitations and seeks guidance. e Participates in Quality Improvement.
- Identifies trends in patient care outcomes for QI monitoring, practice change, and/or staff education.