VitroLabs, founded in 2016 and headquartered in Milpitas California, is a biotech company developing a scalable tissue engineering platform for the efficient and environmentally friendly production of leather from only a few cells. Combining advanced tissue engineering processes with proprietary advances to achieve commercial scale, VitroLabs is on a mission to produce cell cultivated leather that achieves the look, feel and performance of traditional leather without compromise. The composition of the material achieves the complexity of traditional hides without the need to go to animals as an ongoing source of hides. The process is more environmentally sustainable and favorable for animal welfare than that which is used to produce traditional leather. About the role:
As Laboratory Operations Manager you will oversee all areas of laboratory and laboratory facilities operations for VitroLabs. You will report to the Research & Product Operations Lead, and oversee a team of Lab Technicians. You will lead the strategic planning, roadmapping, and people development for the laboratory operations team and oversee laboratory inventory and ordering, vendor relations and coordination, and general lab resource management to promote a safe and efficient working environment. You will promote communication with other teams within R&D and Operations to understand each team's needs, priorities, and constraints and create applicable solutions. About you:
You are passionate about VitroLabs' mission and want to use your experience to run an effective and organized laboratory. You enjoy the startup environment and wearing multiple-hats and you understand how to balance both completing Lab Ops projects and supporting VitroLabs' goals. You love creating and implementing system efficiencies and improvements. You have project management skills and have experience guiding open-ended projects from start to finish. Responsibilities:
Qualifications & Skills:
- Forecast quarterly needs, produce reports, manage documentation, and lead audits necessary for efficient lab operations
- Propose operational improvements for efficiency and quality in the laboratory
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records on all training, permits, and incidents
- Oversee daily operational and organizational laboratory responsibilities such as: managing laboratory inventory, routine equipment sterilization and maintenance, and scheduling calibration/preventative maintenance
- Manage shipping and receiving of laboratory materials; this may include confidential documents, finished products, sensitive materials, such as dry ice, cold packs, liquid nitrogen, CO2, hazardous waste, etc.
- Coordinate vendor contracts for purchasing laboratory supplies, chemical reagents, and consumables. Manage vendors for scheduling services, creating and collecting documentation and POs, agreements, etc.
- Maintain internal electronic lab management system to streamline inventory management, procurement, data management, and electronic lab documentation
- Lead a team of Lab Technicians responsible for ensuring the smooth operation of the laboratory; support your team's growth and development
- Prepare written materials and in-person sessions to facilitate training of lab technicians and other new teammates
- Partner with the facilities teams to troubleshoot and coordinate small laboratory equipment repairs
- Coordinate the R&D and Pilot Manufacturing leaders to understand team needs and manage procurement, inventory, and equipment scheduling accordingly
- Perform other duties as assigned
- 3 or more years of experience* in laboratory operations or life science industry
*At VitroLabs, we understand that those who are courageous enough to make the bold moves and run with the "crazy" ideas are the folks who drive innovation and enable us to accomplish our mission. There is no specific pathway that makes you a fit for this role, but rather your resilience, tenacity, and constant curiosity.
If you want to collaborate with us and know you can contribute to making a product that will change the planet for the better, we want to hear from you.
- Experience with vendor management, shipping and receiving, and equipment maintenance
- Experience in environmental health and safety (EH&S), laboratory risk assessments, lab and biosafety responsibilities
- Experience working with electronic lab data management, documentation, and reporting
- 90-100% employer-paid health, vision, and dental care
- Flexible Spending Account/ Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Basic Life insurance & Long Term Disability insurance
- Commuter benefits
- 401K (Employer matching)
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the functions, responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position, and VitroLabs Inc retains the discretion to modify functions, responsibilities, duties and skills at any time, including modifying the time devoted to such activities, deleting activities and assigning other activities. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. VitroLabs Inc is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.
- Onsite employer sponsored lunches (3 days each week)
- Fully stocked kitchen (snacks responsibly sourced)
- Team happy hours and regularly scheduled table tennis, foosball, and cornhole matches
- Data Management