Happiness House is a private nonprofit health, educational, residential and human service organization that has been serving communities in the Finger Lakes Region since 1969. Today with sites in Canandaigua, Geneva, Gorham, Rochester, Happiness House offers an array of educational, therapeutic, recreational, residential and family support programs and services for children and adults with and without disabilities. On average, Happiness House serves more than 1,150 families each year.
Our staff consists of dedicated and knowledgeable professionals and clinicians with expertise in the areas of Special Education, Early Childhood Education, Physical, Occupational, Speech and Music Therapies, Psychology, Service Coordination, Nursing and Developmental Disabilities.
Committed to serving individuals with autism, traumatic brain injury, neurological impairments, as well as a wide variety of developmental disabilities such as cerebral palsy and Down syndrome, our staff partners with individuals and their families to support them in meeting their goals.Job Description****$3,000 Signing Bonus!!****Full Time/School Year position at our Geneva site (37.5 hours per week) - School Year positions include the 6 week summer program and follows the school calendar, with vacations coinciding with school breaks. Includes Paid School Breaks, 10 paid Holidays, PTO, Sick Time, Health, Dental, Vision Insurances + more!Summary/Objective
The Special Education Teacher plans and provides educational instruction to young children with disabilities in a pre-school classroom. Creates and maintains a structured and effective program and safe environment that provides for the individual development needs of the children. The Special Education teacher works collaboratively with all members of the classroom, therapists and psychologists.Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Administers standardized assessment tools to obtain data necessary for the development of the identified special needs student's Individual Education Program (IEP) following all NYS learning standards set forth for the Preschool student.
- Develops Individual Education Program (IEP) goals for each child identified. Documents progress through quarterly goal updates and amends goals as needed.
- Demonstrates knowledge of technology and literacy devices which enhance the instructional opportunities for individual children.
- Organizes a structured instructional program providing for the individual developmental needs of special needs children in collaboration Teacher's Assistant.
- Maintains all required paperwork, including daily/monthly attendance records.
- Adapts and modifies the early childhood curriculum/lesson plans to meet the needs of the children with special needs.
- Demonstrates the ability to incorporate individual student, family, socioeconomic backgrounds to enhance learning and communication.
- Participates in all parent-teacher conferences for special needs children.
- Coordinates classroom team and planning meetings to facilitate appropriate programming for each child.
- Participates in school district Committee on Preschool Special Education and Committee on Special Education meetings.
- Develops 1:1 Aide plans defining roles and responsibilities of 1:1 Aides assigned to any student in the classroom.
- Utilizes techniques/methods specific for children who require additional learning support or learning style (discrete trials, visual strategies etc).
Additional Information***To complete an online application for employment please go to the following link:
- Bachelor's degree in Education with NYS Certification for Students with Disabilities (Birth - Grade 2).
- Experience with young children with developmental delays.
- Knowledge of child development, developmental disabilities and student learning.
- Knowledge of content and instructional planning and implementation.
- Proficient computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Office programs.
- Ability to modify classroom activities to accommodate the individual needs of the children.
- Must have demonstrated commitment to performing job duties and tasks at a high level of performance.
[ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Special Education Teacher **Signing Bonus**
- Child Development
- Developmental Disabilities
- Learning Styles
- Learning Support