We have an opening at our Foothill Ranch, CA (Orange County) facility for a Design Engineer who will be responsible for the design and development of mechanical systems to support a variety of TAE’s R&D efforts and commercial ventures. Projects will vary in size and complexity from simple machined components to large structural weldments to cutting-edge electro-mechanical assemblies. Successful applicants will be creative, energetic, hands-on, and technology-savvy with a passion for inventing and tinkering in a fast-paced environment. Full-time position.
TAE Technologies develops breakthrough solutions to the most complex problems of our time. Our core mission is to develop and distribute safe, cost-effective commercial fusion energy with the cleanest environmental profile. With close to 1,000 issued and pending patents and over $600 million USD in private capital, we are now on the cusp of delivering a transformational energy source capable of sustaining the planet for thousands of years. Our foundational technology has catalyzed a portfolio of spinoff opportunities in critical markets such as electric mobility, power management, life sciences and more. Multidisciplinary and mission-driven by nature, TAE Technologies is leveraging proprietary science and engineering to create a bright future for us all.
Working at TAE:
We are a diverse group of 200 of the most brilliant physicists, engineers and other experts from 30 countries around the world – all committed to improving our world through clean technology. TAE values individual expertise within our culture of collaboration. We offer generous benefits, vacation, career development programs and intramural ping pong.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Apply technical expertise, commensurate with training and job experience, in the design and development of complex new technologies.
- Complete a variety of 2D and 3D CAD design assignments, including modeling parts and assemblies as well as creating layout and detail drawings from verbal or written instructions using SolidWorks.
- Coordinate and consult with other staff to design, layout, or detail components and systems and resolve design challenges and other emergent issues.
- Produce and maintain working drawings, detail drawings, bills of material, and documentation.
- Coordinate with outside vendors to fabricate parts and procure equipment in accordance with your drawings and design specifications, including shop visits when needed.
- Quickly produce conceptual CAD models from sketches and/or loosely defined requirements when necessary.
- Collaborate and communicate well with engineering, physics/science, project management, quality and procurement groups.
- Perform hands-on work to assemble and install designed components when appropriate or serve as a technical lead in the oversight of installation activities.
- Preferred: B.S. Engineering field or 5 years of applicable experience/ years working experience in an engineering or drafting position.
Software Knowledge and Skills:
- Recent experience with SolidWorks or other 3D CAD software (1,000+ hrs) and preferably a PDM or PLM design change management software.
- Ability to generate detailed design solutions and drawings for mechanical and electrical systems and products using SolidWorks.
- Working knowledge of a variety of engineering materials and fabrication methods.
Other Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (ASME Y14.5M).
- Under general guidance, perform various engineering duties requiring the exercise of judgment and application of standard engineering principles and practices.
- Ability to take projects from concept through installation, interfacing with engineers, physicists, and technicians and integrating a variety of design inputs.
- Broad familiarity with mechanical assemblies and fasteners; able to think through how a design will be manufactured, assembled, installed, and maintained.
- Ability to communicate effectively and interact with a multi-disciplined project team, remaining flexible and receptive to design changes as required by the evolution of the project.
- 3d Model
- Assembly And Installation
- Change Management